Skin Problem After Peating

sladerunner69

Really? I thought Danny's skin looked pretty flawless, certainly seems that way in his videos. Don't forget he has oysters every day so I hope everyone is including seafood in their diets.
In his older videos yes his skin looks totally flawless but actually in his recent videos I noticed these small pock marks or pores or something. Peat had them and they are definitely noticeable. I get them when I drink tons of coffee. I believe its caffiene boosting metabolism and running CAMP to the ground and not having extra copper or gelatin or other nutrients to replenish...

redlight

It's kinda of sad at the amount of side effects and complaints coming from those following the dietary advice found on this forum...

OP
Pet Peeve

Pet Peeve

It's kinda of sad at the amount of side effects and complaints coming from those following the dietary advice found on this forum...

I was really sick when I found this forum and I've made incredible progress. Just need to tweak and experiment a little.

Hasen

In his older videos yes his skin looks totally flawless but actually in his recent videos I noticed these small pock marks or pores or something. Peat had them and they are definitely noticeable. I get them when I drink tons of coffee. I believe its caffiene boosting metabolism and running CAMP to the ground and not having extra copper or gelatin or other nutrients to replenish...

Actually I was talking about his recent videos. His new video on hypothyroidism you can see pretty close up. I couldn't notice any problems, in fact his skin seems particularly flawless to me.

EIRE24

I have to second this, just based on personal experience. When PUFAs get too low I develop dry skin with tiny whiteheads all over my entire face - the kind that give a horrible, gravel type gradient in harsh light. I really do look ill when that happens.

And pure sugar is a guaranteed deep cyst, usually along the cheekbone, lips or forehead.
This is my experience too.

I get that gravel like thing too. Is it when you eat low fat or just pufa free diet in general that this happens. ?

Emstar1892

This is my experience too.

I get that gravel like thing too. Is it when you eat low fat or just pufa free diet in general that this happens. ?

I get dry skin when low fat in general (and hate life...low fat sucks for me on all counts eirgh.) But low pufa is when the 'granules' start forming and things get ugly. I've tried upping saturated fats to crazy levels, vitamin E in isolation, etc, and nothing works until I add pufa.

EIRE24

I get dry skin when low fat in general (and hate life...low fat sucks for me on all counts eirgh.) But low pufa is when the 'granules' start forming and things get ugly. I've tried upping saturated fats to crazy levels, vitamin E in isolation, etc, and nothing works until I add pufa.
That's strange, what source of pufa are you talking about though?

Emstar1892

That's strange, what source of pufa are you talking about though?

All/any.

Olive oil, a small handful of soaked almonds, sunflower seeds, etc. Omega 6, not 3. About a tablespoon and I'm back to clear, smooth, non-dry skin.

Hasen

Why not add omega 3 PUFAs in the form of seafood instead. What happens if you do that? Olive oil is packed with omega 6...

Emstar1892

Why not add omega 3 PUFAs in the form of seafood instead. What happens if you do that? Olive oil is packed with omega 6...

Because as I said, omega 3 doesn't make a difference to my skin, only 6. It took 3 years of restriction to accept that that's just how it is

Hasen

Whats the time frame for this effect? You just eat more PUFAs for a whole day and then the following day there is a difference?

Emstar1892

Whats the time frame for this effect? You just eat more PUFAs for a whole day and then the following day there is a difference?

Not sure if you're talking to me or the OP? If me, no, I go for weeks without pufa and about a month in it starts. Re-introduce it and again , 3-4 weeks back to perfect skin

Hasen

Not sure if you're talking to me or the OP? If me, no, I go for weeks without pufa and about a month in it starts. Re-introduce it and again , 3-4 weeks back to perfect skin

Yes I was talking to you. Ok I see. Is there somewhere on the forum I can read what your normal diet is? I know this is the Ray Peat forum but I find there are many here who aren't quite following Peat exactly or are even following different diets. Even those following him have very differing diets since after all, Ray doesn't exactly set any kind of diet out in stone anyway...its all interpretation.

Emstar1892

Yes I was talking to you. Ok I see. Is there somewhere on the forum I can read what your normal diet is? I know this is the Ray Peat forum but I find there are many here who aren't quite following Peat exactly or are even following different diets. Even those following him have very differing diets since after all, Ray doesn't exactly set any kind of diet out in stone anyway...its all interpretation.

Nah, there isn't. In a couple of old threads I've listed some stuff but it's all different now. I deliberately don't post it as I get a lot of emails from young girls asking me what I'm doing and I don't ever want to influence. It's not extreme, its not restrictive, and no food group is excluded except dairy as it gives me cysts and always has done :)

EIRE24

All/any.

Olive oil, a small handful of soaked almonds, sunflower seeds, etc. Omega 6, not 3. About a tablespoon and I'm back to clear, smooth, non-dry skin.

Maybe I have the same problem then. I've not added any pufa back in my diet so maybe it is what's keeping me from having smooth skin like you say?

Agent207

"The polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) precursors of these bioactive lipids are found in low concentration in the epidermis and dermis, and their levels are strongly dependent on dietary sources. Early studies by Burr and Burr have demonstrated the importance of fatty acid metabolism for skin health (Burr and Burr 1929), while more recent findings have shown that human epidermis is lacking Δ5 and Δ6 desaturase activites (Chapkin and Ziboh 1984; Ziboh and Chapkin 1988). Therefore, the epidermis relies upon the bloodstream for its supply of the essential fatty acids linoleic acid (LA; 18:2n−6) and α-linolenic acid (ALA; 18:3n−3), as well as their elongated and desaturated PUFA derivatives including dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid (DGLA, 20:3n−6), arachidonic acid (AA; 20:4n−6), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA; 20:5n−3) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6n−3). While the concentration of LA is approximately 12 % of total epidermal fatty acids (reflecting its importance for efficient barrier function), the epidermal concentration of AA is approximately 3 % of total fatty acids, with EPA and DHA each contributing less that 1 % of total fatty acids (Schurer et al. 1994; Zuo et al. 20082008; Hansen and Jensen 1985; Ziboh and Chapkin 1988)."

Apostolos Pappas, "Lipids and Skin Health"

I posted about this subjetc in a revious thread (PUFAs Role On Skin) It seems logical to me that pufas -as with possibly almost any nutrient available on nature- is not "all-good/all-bad". I think Peats work and their facts should warns us to not overdo on them which is a current big fail in modern diets, specially after their rise-up over the last decades, and the craziness of the "magic" omega3s.

But i don't think going the opposite way, negating other facts, is wise either. I'll stick more closely to the human milk fat composition, 50% saturated, 35%mono 15%pufa. Anything that improves the skin complexity can't be wrong.

Emstar1892

"The polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) precursors of these bioactive lipids are found in low concentration in the epidermis and dermis, and their levels are strongly dependent on dietary sources. Early studies by Burr and Burr have demonstrated the importance of fatty acid metabolism for skin health (Burr and Burr 1929), while more recent findings have shown that human epidermis is lacking Δ5 and Δ6 desaturase activites (Chapkin and Ziboh 1984; Ziboh and Chapkin 1988). Therefore, the epidermis relies upon the bloodstream for its supply of the essential fatty acids linoleic acid (LA; 18:2n−6) and α-linolenic acid (ALA; 18:3n−3), as well as their elongated and desaturated PUFA derivatives including dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid (DGLA, 20:3n−6), arachidonic acid (AA; 20:4n−6), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA; 20:5n−3) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA; 22:6n−3). While the concentration of LA is approximately 12 % of total epidermal fatty acids (reflecting its importance for efficient barrier function), the epidermal concentration of AA is approximately 3 % of total fatty acids, with EPA and DHA each contributing less that 1 % of total fatty acids (Schurer et al. 1994; Zuo et al. 20082008; Hansen and Jensen 1985; Ziboh and Chapkin 1988)."

Apostolos Pappas, "Lipids and Skin Health"

I posted about this subjetc in a revious thread (PUFAs Role On Skin) It seems logical to me that pufas -as with possibly almost any nutrient available on nature- is not "all-good/all-bad". I think Peats work and their facts should warns us to not overdo on them which is a current big fail in modern diets, specially after their rise-up over the last decades, and the craziness of the "magic" omega3s.

But i don't think going the opposite way, negating other facts, is wise either. I'll stick more closely to the human milk fat composition, 50% saturated, 35%mono 15%pufa. Anything that improves the skin complexity can't be wrong.

Hi Agent207, I actually read your other post a while ago :) it was very interesting and I agree. I don't load up on PUFA (though by forum standards this is a contentious claim) but I hit the very minimum stated by general guidelines and it seems to work. As with any diet, once I start to look worse or my body changes for the worse, dogma goes out the window and empiricism takes its place!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals