Skin Problem After Peating

Emstar1892

Yes of course there are, that's why his articles are there in the first place. There are universal guidelines for all kinds of things but there are always certain people, certain cases where things may need to be slightly different. But in any case, don't read too much into that quote, like I said, Tara's comment sums it up very nicely. He never said anything like 'actually fish oil is fine' even for that single particular person. He even suggest perhaps having cheese instead. A person with cancer might need chemotherapy, it doesn't mean you do too.

A better guide are the articles on his website. And don't forget its an overall blueprint with a goal in mind, so eating lots of sugar while not limiting PUFAs may for example have disastrous effects. He advises to eat things that contain iron while also wanting to limit iron....therefore he suggests things you can do to reduce iron absorption at the same time. Missing out or changing any of these steps might not have the overall desired effect.

Although equally you may achieve the desired result (high pulse and temp) through other means, like for example the teachings of Matt Stone.

But a lot of his articles are to raise low thyroid, or to fix calcium deficiency, or to lower high PUFA accumulation, or to lower high estrogen, or to raise low progesterone, or to lower cortisol - as in, to *correct* a specific issue. You're not meant to just follow each and every piece of advice for each and every individual issue on the basis of nothing. For instance, my estrogen was low and I didn't realise it - I assumed that the "modern day" life would give me excess estrogen no matter what. I carrot-saladed the hell out of myself and then my estrogen got even lower, so I had to stop until I had in-range levels again. Were I a man, then perhaps Peat's estrogen guidelines could be followed blindly.

Regardless, Peat is a good scientist - what I mean by that is that he looks at evidence and makes conclusions, always prepared to falsify his claims. Which he has done (occassionally) in the past. As a subject, I assume the same potential falsifiability. The antithesis of good science, on the other hand, is to look at another's conclusions and suggest that only good followers/researchers take them as gospel, as opposed to work to be built upon/negated. I feel like that's the danger here.

Hasen

But a lot of his articles are to raise low thyroid, or to fix calcium deficiency, or to lower high PUFA accumulation, or to lower high estrogen, or to raise low progesterone, or to lower cortisol - as in, to *correct* a specific issue. You're not meant to just follow each and every piece of advice for each and every individual issue on the basis of nothing. For instance, my estrogen was low and I didn't realise it - I assumed that the "modern day" life would give me excess estrogen no matter what. I carrot-saladed the hell out of myself and then my estrogen got even lower, so I had to stop until I had in-range levels again. Were I a man, then perhaps Peat's estrogen guidelines could be followed blindly.

Regardless, Peat is a good scientist - what I mean by that is that he looks at evidence and makes conclusions, always prepared to falsify his claims. Which he has done (occassionally) in the past. As a subject, I assume the same potential falsifiability. The antithesis of good science, on the other hand, is to look at another's conclusions and suggest that only good followers/researchers take them as gospel. I feel like that's the danger here.

Yes Ray is all about Thyroid. All about raising temperature and pulse. If your pulse and temperature is fine then you surely don't need to follow Peat at all. Certainly this kind of diet is for someone with some kind of issue (as is Matt Stone) and its Ray's theory that so many problems are caused by ultimately some kind of thyroid issue. From hair loss to obesity. Its Ray's theory that thyroid issues are a lot more widespread than we are lead to believe and the methods for fixing this issue are not good and our typical diets don't make things any better.

I live in China and they eat a lot of bad stuff but they also eat a hell of a lot of carbohydrates. Mostly simple starches. I find Chinese people are typically very hot to the touch and obesity is not common at all compared with the west. More than likely their temperatures are high therefore fast metabolisms. This kind of diet probably wouldn't _fix_ any kind of problem like Ray's guidelines would, but for the most part would allow them to avoid getting into these kinds of thyroid issues in the first place that lead to obesity and other problems.

Hasen

Thanks for putting me onto the 20 questions with Ray Peat, very informative. The first question he explains what he generally eats and its basically identical to what Danny Roddy eats. The only thing I've found that Danny doesn't really go on about much that Ray Peat is certainly a big fan of is bag breathing. Other than that the diet seems the same. He's not that specific so we don't know about amounts etc but the things he listed are basically identical.

EDIT: Is it me or are the only answers to 10 of the questions? The thread is two years old and closed too..

EIRE24

I can definitely say 100% in my experience that vitamin A, Zinc or any of the other vitamins that are supposed to fight acne or eliminate it do nothing for me personally. Its as if the vitamin A actually makes my skin worse. I've also tired eating liver and oysters with no success in clearing up my skin. My next idea is to try an anti biotic. I've also been doing a low fat diet which actually could be the cause of my dry skin and itchy scalp so I am now thinking of adding more fat to my diet and seeing how things go.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

OP
Pet Peeve

Pet Peeve

I cut out coffee (not caffeine) and it didn't help though it's not a big deal as I didn't handle it very well anyway. Omega 6 PUFA does seem to smooth out the skin a bit if I take it every day, but I have a hunch that it has a compensatory effect on endotoxin overload. @Emstar1892, could it be possible that you have SIBO? I'm thinking more and more that I might (with inflamed intestines). I have been taking some grapefruit seed extract I had lying around and it's made a huge difference. A cough I have had for several weeks suddenly dissolved with an "rx antibiotic feel" to it. Noticeable improvement in mental clarity. I might drop the milk and OJ and go on a full SIBO-diet for a while.

This is what I have been taking. It doesn't seem to contain so much crappy stuff: NutriBiotic, GSE Grapefruit Seed Extract, Liquid Concentrate, 4 fl oz (118 ml)

Last edited:

Emstar1892

I cut out coffee (not caffeine) and it didn't help though it's not a big deal as I didn't handle it very well anyway. Omega 6 PUFA does seem to smooth out the skin a bit if I take it every day, but I have a hunch that it has a compensatory effect on endotoxin overload. @Emstar1892, could it be possible that you have SIBO? I'm thinking more and more that I might (with inflamed intestines). I have been taking some grapefruit seed extract I had lying around and it's made a huge difference. A cough I have had for several weeks suddenly dissolved with an "rx antibiotic feel" to it. Noticeable improvement in mental clarity. I might drop the milk and OJ and go on a full SIBO-diet for a while.

This is what I have been taking. It doesn't seem to contain so much crappy stuff: NutriBiotic, GSE Grapefruit Seed Extract, Liquid Concentrate, 4 fl oz (118 ml)

Hey!

Yeah, I think I have everything haha. As in, multiple infections. Which SIBO diet are you referring to? The one I know is no starch and no sugar, so as my adrenals are so crashed I wouldn't be able to attempt it :( I actually just started taking nystatin to see if the problem might be fungal. Thanks for the grapefruit seed heads up!

Ewelina

Hey!

Yeah, I think I have everything haha. As in, multiple infections. Which SIBO diet are you referring to? The one I know is no starch and no sugar, so as my adrenals are so crashed I wouldn't be able to attempt it :( I actually just started taking nystatin to see if the problem might be fungal. Thanks for the grapefruit seed heads up!

Let us know how nystatin works for you. I'm considering it as well.

Maretch

My sister have had this after peat diet, but she didn't changed anything, after a couple of months everything passed by its own...
Very sorry about you situation!

Emstar1892

Let us know how nystatin works for you. I'm considering it as well.

Hey Ewelina. I finished my course of Nilstat yesterday. I feel no different whatsoever. Still have all the symptoms of fungal overload, but now with slightly dryer eyes.

Sigh!

My options are:

1. Try something else
2. Keep taking Nilstat.

Given that my thyroid hormones are still out-of-range low, and my progesterone is still out-of-range low, I reckon option 2 will require about 683495834938 more bottles of Nilstat. So for the time being I'm going to wait until I can start taking the progesterone cream I've been given (which should be 13 days from now), see if that changes my thyroid status in any way, if not, try taking thyroid on top of that, THEN come back with the Nilstat when I have a better metabolism. Just don't think my body can eliminate anything at the moment.

Sorry my review isn't more groundbreaking, good luck on your journey.

Ewelina

Hey Ewelina. I finished my course of Nilstat yesterday. I feel no different whatsoever. Still have all the symptoms of fungal overload, but now with slightly dryer eyes.

Sigh!

My options are:

1. Try something else
2. Keep taking Nilstat.

Given that my thyroid hormones are still out-of-range low, and my progesterone is still out-of-range low, I reckon option 2 will require about 683495834938 more bottles of Nilstat. So for the time being I'm going to wait until I can start taking the progesterone cream I've been given (which should be 13 days from now), see if that changes my thyroid status in any way, if not, try taking thyroid on top of that, THEN come back with the Nilstat when I have a better metabolism. Just don't think my body can eliminate anything at the moment.

Sorry my review isn't more groundbreaking, good luck on your journey.

Hi @Emstar1892 . Sorry to hear Nilstat didn't work for you. I've just come back from holidays and I'm thinking about going to the doctor to ask for nystatin. I've been on Progest-E for a couple of years and despite the fact that it does help in many ways it does nothing for my bloat. I've also tried thyroid but I haven't noticed anything either. I guess if nystatin doesn't work I will have to consider antibiotics.

Emstar1892

Hi @Emstar1892 . Sorry to hear Nilstat didn't work for you. I've just come back from holidays and I'm thinking about going to the doctor to ask for nystatin. I've been on Progest-E for a couple of years and despite the fact that it does help in many ways it does nothing for my bloat. I've also tried thyroid but I haven't noticed anything either. I guess if nystatin doesn't work I will have to consider antibiotics.

Ah, well good luck with it! May I ask in what way the progesterone helps?

WestCoaster

It's inflammation of sorts. Whatever new you are/were eating is causing inflammation. The usual suspects are grains and sugars. I know this is a Peat board, but not everyone does well with sugar. One might be able to consume copious amounts whereas the next person might not be able to handle a simple tablespoon of it no matter what form it comes in (fruit, juice, milk etc..)

Process of elimination will fix it, but nobody should ever have to come to a scenario that they have to take additional things/supplements to repair something that is as simple as eliminating the culprit.

Ewelina

Ah, well good luck with it! May I ask in what way the progesterone helps?

I started using progesterone cream about 4 years ago, but cream stopped working after about 2 years so I decided to use Progest-E and so far I'm happy with it. In general progesterone reduced my water retention and heavy periods. I think it was also crucial in reducing my elevated heart rate (over 100) and general inflammation. Nonetheless, I still have problems that progesterone is not helping with (however I don't take high doses of it, only 12 drops per day in the second part of the cycle).

Momado965

You need b6. Ray mentions in his article regarding pufa defeciency, b6 requirements are increased. I found that to be true myself. I got the dry skin problem and I took b6. The problem went away. It also went away when I increased total fat intake which also means increased pufa intake even tho in minute amounts.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals