What's Wrong With Potatoes [How Do They Agree With You?]

johns74

Ray Peat said:
Potatoes are almost the perfect food if very well cooked, because you want to break down the starch and the non-starch ingredients of a potato have almost a perfect balance of nutrients, b vitamins, essential amino acids, carbs in the right proportion, and the only thing that is lacking in a pure potato diet is vitamin A and vitamin B12. They are a very balanced food.

Source

johns74

I hope people see that if a person eats potatoes with no issues, advising them to stop it is very unintelligent advice.

johns74 said:
I hope people see that if a person eats potatoes with no issues, advising them to stop it is very unintelligent advice.

How do we define a lack of issues? Again we are brought to the question of the existence of a diet. I think you will find people eat many things without reporting issues. I think you will find the body knows how to be quiet after it's been ignored for a certain amount of time.

tara

Raypmom said:
@Tara
"I think these effects probably vary depending on state of the body and activity, timing, etc. I expect the effects would be different in conjunction with weight-training than with web-surfing. Some people clearly do better without or with less starch."

What do you mean here ? Because the friend that I mentioned earlier who eats 1-2 cups of mashed potatoes per week works out. She does resistance training 4x week. So if you are saying what I think you are saying, then that could be very well true.

I have noticed I don't feel so terrible if I eat them on a day I did a session with heavy lifting with weights. But I still get the allergy issues the next morning. That's why I stay away as much as I can. But I see what you are saying though.

I was thinking for someone whose metabolism is in reasonably good shape, high glucose during heavy work might get used up doing the work. Or after work, high glucose and the associated insulin and some protein might support muscle growth - that's what some of the weight-lifters and body-builders claim, isn't it?

When metabolism is good, GI peristalsis is better and endotoxins don't get to build up and leak through as much, esp. if one doesn't have a particular sensitivity triggered.

Some people really do react badly to nightshades, and maybe other chemicals in spuds, and maybe the starch and fibre, so if you don't feel good it makes sense to stay away from them.

One of my chn eats 1-2 cups mashed potatoes at a meal, too. The other wants the whole spud with butter. I want chips. 'Oh mum, do we have to have chips again?' :lol: So we take turns.

narouz

johns74 said:

Lack of issues is not the issue. :lol:

I am open to the view that Peat can be wrong!
All I'm saying is that from a studied Peat perspective,
potatoes are not an optimal food
if better Peat foods are available.

narouz

johns74 said:
Ray Peat said:
Potatoes are almost the perfect food if very well cooked, because you want to break down the starch and the non-starch ingredients of a potato have almost a perfect balance of nutrients, b vitamins, essential amino acids, carbs in the right proportion, and the only thing that is lacking in a pure potato diet is vitamin A and vitamin B12. They are a very balanced food.

Source

Yes, johns, I heard that interview.
Still, placed alongside all the many Other things Peat has said about potatoes and starches...
not optimal.

I had some yesterday!
Just sayin'....

narouz

A transformation just occurred.
There appear to be reindeer and Santa critters everywhere.
Is this Peatian?
Bah. Humbug! :D

johns74 said:
Such_Saturation said:
johns74 said:
Maybe you should give it some time before trying again. I wonder if one is more sensitive to solanine for some time after consuming a lot of it.

Now now, don't go all solanine nazi on me. I will try potatoes if you try no potatoes.

I rarely eat potatoes. When I have ample time and money, I make mashed potatoes and enjoy them.

I stopped and restarted enough times to believe it doesn't make a big difference in health. I'm very confident that stopping it won't help with hair loss.

I prefer to clarify that I meant "no starch". Boring, I know.

johns74

Such_Saturation said:
I prefer to clarify that I meant "no starch". Boring, I know.

Same thing to me, as potato is the only starch I buy, except in some social situations. Anyway, how much starch remains after cooking it?

I don't know anything about the boiling creating sugar. From yesterday I gather that a potato kept nice and cool and dark will get a rise in sugar during storage and then drop off from there as it consumes it. The best thing would be to only eat them when they taste sugary, or buy something like this: http://www.sciencecompany.com/Benedicts ... P6408.aspx

natedawggh

Ewlevy1 said:
Why are people so down on potatoes?? I thought peat loved the potato protein.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts!

I can't keep my temperatures up enough without potatoes...and I don't experience any digestive problems from them but I know it's different for other people. Potatoes will keep my temperatures and heart rate elevated for hours and hours.

Waremu

I handle potatoes pretty well. I don't think there is much of a problem with them as long as they are well cooked and pealed. Quite honestly, many of those who avoid starches also live off of a liquid diet and I think a liquid diet can be worse long run than adding in some bulk from potatoes, etc.

Waremu said:
I handle potatoes pretty well. I don't think there is much of a problem with them as long as they are well cooked and pealed. Quite honestly, many of those who avoid starches also live off of a liquid diet and I think a liquid diet can be worse long run than adding in some bulk from potatoes, etc.

Yes, we should tell that to Ray Peat!

montmorency

Clearly some people get on well with potatoes and some people don't. I know someone who is violently allergic to them. I'm kind of agnostic about them, and gave them up without regret when I went low carb. However, partly because my wife loves them, I've gradually allowed them back into my diet,although not in large quantities. To me, a potato on its own is such an uninteresting and unsatisfying food. Add some good butter and maybe grated cheese, then it's a different story.

artist

I've been adding potatoes lately and having a fine time with it. The whole thing about "who's to say the person isn't actually having issues with potatoes and doesn't know it" is pretty silly and condescending as it could be applied to any food (milk anyone?) or supplement (caffeine anyone?) and isn't "observe think act" the fundamental principle around here? Id flip it around to suggest that if you feel awful eating starch, something your ancestors ALL ate, you probably have - surprise surprise - compromised health! Which is unfortunate and I have experience in this arena, but dont blame potatoes. Do what works for you, but eating starch, especially less industry-influenced foods like potatoes, is very normal for the human body and has sustained us for millenia

Stryker

a few months ago i had some old potatoes sitting in the drawer in the kitchen which had started to go green and sprout but i decided to cook them up and eat them anyway. The next morning at work i broke down onto the ground from a writhing gut pain and started to experience a delerious fever with cold sweats and shaky limbs which lasted for a few hours.

i cannot say it was 100% the potatoes but im quite sure it couldnt have been anything else

I've found just eating 8 small potatoes over two days reliably gives me nausea, while I can eat the same amount of calories from white bread (homemade non-enriched) and only get mild digestive upset and GERD. White bread tastes a little better too IMO.

Kasper

I have found that eating 2 up to 3 kg mashed potatoes a day, make me feel perfectly fine. Actually, better than I have ever felt. And much better than on high fruit diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals