Why did Judas betray Jesus?

Diokine

During Jesus’ ministry, he didn’t include the apostles in discussions about specifics as to how things would unfold. There have been many cases throughout history where people have claimed to have knowledge about what would come to pass, and they were all wrong. I am of course not referring to the prophets, their cases are special and the details of their prophecy require special consideration. The history of the church is full of examples of misunderstandings about future events. The important concept is that to be bound to an idea or idol of what will come to pass, based off your own proud understanding, will lead to painful correction, suffering, or catastrophe. I believe we have all experienced this. To believe you have reached understanding that is beyond reproach is a grave error, and one that I pray none of us would fall into. I myself am guilty of this many times over.

I have thought often about why Judas betrayed Jesus. The explanations about his motivations being purely for money never satisfied me. I think Judas truly believed Jesus was the son of God and was the messiah that was promised. I believe he thought, as many did at the time, that he would assume authority over the world. So when that didn’t happen, he decided to force the issue. Maybe he thought that if he turned Jesus over to the authorities, he would reveal his true power and redeem the earth. But this action was really the worst kind of infidelity, a complete lack of trust and faith in God. And I believe it came about because he thought he understood, and had made an idol of his understanding. These are my own thoughts about the matter, please think about it for yourself.

Ras

During Jesus’ ministry, he didn’t include the apostles in discussions about specifics as to how things would unfold. There have been many cases throughout history where people have claimed to have knowledge about what would come to pass, and they were all wrong. I am of course not referring to the prophets, their cases are special and the details of their prophecy require special consideration. The history of the church is full of examples of misunderstandings about future events. The important concept is that to be bound to an idea or idol of what will come to pass, based off your own proud understanding, will lead to painful correction, suffering, or catastrophe. I believe we have all experienced this. To believe you have reached understanding that is beyond reproach is a grave error, and one that I pray none of us would fall into. I myself am guilty of this many times over.

I have thought often about why Judas betrayed Jesus. The explanations about his motivations being purely for money never satisfied me. I think Judas truly believed Jesus was the son of God and was the messiah that was promised. I believe he thought, as many did at the time, that he would assume authority over the world. So when that didn’t happen, he decided to force the issue. Maybe he thought that if he turned Jesus over to the authorities, he would reveal his true power and redeem the earth. But this action was really the worst kind of infidelity, a complete lack of trust and faith in God. And I believe it came about because he thought he understood, and had made an idol of his understanding. These are my own thoughts about the matter, please think about it for yourself.
John 13:27 KJB - 27 And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.

He was the prophesied son of perdition: a vessel meet for Satan. He was soil fit for the fruit of evil, so Satan took up residence and bore his produce.

John 8:44 KJB - 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

John 17:12 KJB - 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Judas was lost so that the scripture would be fulfilled.

Mary Lyn

He must have given ground to Satan. His love for money would do that. Ananias and Saphira same.

OP
Diokine

Diokine

What about Matthew 16:23?

But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Here Jesus is speaking to Peter. So was this a temporary arrangement opposed to the situation with Judas?

@L_C

I am familiar with this content, I don't believe it to be authoritative.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals