Are Probiotics Worth A Shot?

Nstocks

4+ years basic Peat approach , 5 years prior was hardcore Paleo diet.

Body composition hasn't changed (slim with a gut) but I have gained 4 stones since Peating which I needed to gain anyway.

Despite a LOT of dietary changes I still look 6 months pregnant with extreme bloating. I meditate and make sure I breath properly which offers a few minutes of relief, but nonetheless, I still feel terrible.

These days I eat whatever because no diet has helped with bloating. (but my waking temperature has gone from 35.1 to 36.2C). I don't really have any dairy except occasional ice cream, eat some wheat, chicken breast, very small amount of meat a fair amount of candy, fruit juice, coconut oil.

- No longer take thyroid medication, which hasn't effected my temperature (YAY!)
- Epsom salt baths twice a week
- Cascara once a week for constipation
- Coffe - not sure if this makes stomach worse
- D3/K2 supplement
- Red light therapy on face to help beard grow
- No carrot salad since it causes constipation (same for bamboo)
- Previously took mastic gum which helped but due to the vast amount I was taking (2-3g a day), it became far too expensive. (for suspected h. pylori)
- Goat milk kefir offered some relief, but after a few months it was useless

I've taken prescript assist in the past as well as other probiotics which didn't really do a whole lot, often they made bloating worse.

There's a sticky on here that I've looked into for suggest probiotics, but I'm not sure. Sometimes I wear a back support just to keep my stomach in and after after a few hours of wearing it, I have a flat stomach! Enemas don't help either.

Carrot salad causes bloating, as does bamboo shoots. I make cooked mushroom soup but it offers no digestive aid. Same goes for lemon juice/vinegar before meals. Exercise doesn't have effect on bloating, but does help with constipation sometimes.

It could be an option to do "full" peat diet (whatever that is) but I cannot handle litres of fluids and seafood (oysters) are hard to get.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nstocks

Antibiotics have been suggested in the past but without seeing my Doctor, they are either very expensive or impossible to get without prescription. (as an example, a few weeks ago I had a flu and lost my voice - online Doctor's told me to see my GP or take things like tamiflu).

Plus things could become a lot worse and inflammation is likely.

Bodhi

It depends on which u choose all the research i have done Mino and Doxy can have very positive results.

Have you tried fasting and colonics?

Whole Body Detox and Cleanse Systems | Arise & Shine check the book cleanse and purify u can combine this with Andreaz Moritz protocol (gallbladder cleanse)

If the anti biotics do not work or make things worse u can do this and replace your flora...

It's all trial and error and very personal.

Minoz 100mg Online | Buy At AlldayChemist

Doxrid 100 mg Online | Buy At AlldayChemist

Bodhi

These are the pro biotics RP advocates

Biosporin powder ampoules 1 dose #10: Buy Online on MedicinesDelivery.com

I am going to Thailand next week for an 11day cleanse like to one i mentioned gonna use a combo od bio sporin and:

Jarrow Formulas, Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS, 90 Veggie Caps

Hyperbiotics, PRO-15. The Perfect Probiotic, 5 Billion CFU', 60 Tablets

Garden of Life, Primal Defense, Ultra, Ultimate Probiotic Formula, 90 UltraZorbe Veggie Caps

Why? to cover as much gram plus strains i read about

If noting improves i will go on the carrot, charcoal anti biotic route

Good luck!

OP
N

Nstocks

If you have had positive results with Doxy, why are you going on a cleanse? (I know that will come across as being rude which it should not be taken as) :)

Bodhi

Haven't tried it yet...

So first the natural way (last try)

Next the Peat n sterilize approach

DankMemes

I tired lots of probiotics during my paleo years. Honestly, I regret buying every single one.

I tried a few "soil based probiotics" with resistant starch thinking I finally found the cure to my IBS. Turns out fruit fibre keeps my gut happy, especially compared to starch or insoluble fibre.

I also saw an improvement in mood and energy when using Amoxicillin for strep throat.

DaveFoster

Within the whole "trial and error" scope of probiotics, each time you use antibiotics, you'll have a different gut flora. When you shake up the bottle and let it settle, it'll be different.

I suppose the goals could be:

- Predominantly gram-positive flora (85%)
- Low total amount of microbes in the colon and very low amounts in the small intestine

OP
N

Nstocks

I'm going to order those probiotics from Ukraine... Could take a few weeks arrive, but I'll report how I do with them.

Something has to work!

DaveFoster

What has your experience been so far with either?
Haven't tried probiotics, but I have a plan if need be to treat my CFS and fibro. Ray recommends antibiotics, and not all antibiotics have the same effects. Minocycline acts more on the nervous system, while doxycycline penetrates into the tissues less than mino, but more than tetracycline.

Erythromycin is another that Peat recommends. For gut issues, he's recommended me a course of tetracycline and erythromycin; he did not say the duration or dose. Generally he likes 1/4 dose or 1/2 dose to start.

OP
N

Nstocks

I think most anti bitoics are two weeks; is this the length you would likely take them for?

OP
N

Nstocks

I wonder why Peat didn't mention Flagyl, since it is more closely tied to stomach issues?

OP
N

Nstocks

Feel so tired :(

I'm wondering if I should take Erythromycin for a month, then probiotics. It's getting so painful to the point where sitting is just not possible on some days of the week. Temp is fine, I never feel cold but digestion is still a problem.
RHR: SIBO and Methane—What’s the Connection?
For SIBO:

But if you combine rifaximin with neomycin together and take them for 10 days, that led to a clinical improvement 85 percent of the time, and a negative breath test result 87 percent of the time. So now we’re talking about some real treatment efficacy numbers here.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nstocks

I'm really stuck between probiotics and antibiotics.

For SIBO some research shows probiotics are 30% more effective long term than antibiotics, yet probiotics won't clean the small intestine which is where the problem lies. It's also down to cost. 9 tables of 200mg rifaximin is £35. Research suggest at least 400mg three times per day for 10 days which would cost £245.00.

That's £200 more than Biosporin but won't help clean the intestine. (carrot salad doesn't work either)

DaveFoster

Ray Peat said:
Erythromycin and tetracycline would be safer and probably more effective, much quicker. Does someone recommend the combination of Flagyl and Keflex?

OP
N

Nstocks

What would be the better option: Biosporin or Primal defence ultra?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals