Jennifer's Recovery Log

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

I was going to post this tomorrow, but figured I'd get a head start on logging the blood test results I currently have. I picked up the print out readings of my results yesterday at Dr. Oteri's office, but they missed two sheets which have the whole blood serotonin, TSH and magnesium results on them and I just noticed that they never checked me for H. Pylori, but instead checked for Cryptosporidium. Since the office is about 45 minutes away, I figured I'd wait till I see her tomorrow to get the rest of the results.

I also picked up the Genova GI Effects stool test and will be taking it the beginning of next week. Over two weeks passed by and I hadn't heard back from Dr. O's office about the pre-authorization request to my insurance company so I called the office and found out they never sent it. I decided that I'll just take the test regardless if insurance will cover it or not because I can't put it off any longer.

This was a 13 hour fasted test. In brackets are the lab's reference ranges. My scores are in bold to make it easier to read since everything kept getting bunched up.

Prolactin - 11.1 ng/mL
TSH - 0.005 uIU/mL [0.358-3.740] L
Whole Blood Serotonin - 171 [56-244]
CO2 - 26 mmol/L [21-32]
Lactic Acid - 1.1 mmol/L [0.4-2.0]
Free Fatty Acids - 0.84 mmol/L [0.07-0.88]
Vit D (25 Hydroxy) - 38.1 ng/mL [30-100]
Histamine - 1.5 ng/mL [0.1-0.8]
Albumin - 4 g/dL. [3.4-5.0]
Total Cholesterol - 147 mg/dL [200 Desirable]
Triglycerides - 176 mg/dL [150 -199 Borderline high] H
Cholest. HDL - 39 [40 low, 60 high optimal] L
Cholest. LDL - 73 [100 optimal, 100-129 Near/above optimal]
C-Reactive Protein - 0.29 mg/dL [0.00-0.30]
Sodium - 140 mmol/L [134-146]
Magnesium - 1.7 mg/dL [1.2-2.4]
Chloride - 107 [98-110]
Calcium - 9.0 mg/dL [8.2-9.8]
Potassium - 3.6 mmol/L [ 3.5-5.1]
Glucose - 95 mg/dL [65-99]
Porphyria - Negative
H. Pylori - Negative
Cryptosporidium - Negative
Giardia - Negative

My CO2 levels have always been at the high end or above range, between 30-34. I'm wondering if almost passing out while the blood was being drawn had any affect on my CO2?

My prolactin was at 9 right before I started taking progest-e and thyroid over a year ago and now it's 11.1. I'm assuming my gut issues are playing a role in the small rise.

My triglycerides have never been that high before. I did a little digging around and read that endotoxin can cause high trigs. Could that be an explanation?

I'm really curious to know my serotonin level at this point because of the dizziness, headaches, blurred vision and major brain fog. I honestly wasn't expecting stellar results given my current gut issues so I'm thinking it all boils down to getting the comprehensive stool test done and finally giving my gut a real fighting chance to heal.

With the cold and dark days this time of year, like clock work, I get the urge to watch a lot of tropical based shows/movies like the real estate show Hawaii Life or movies like Blue Crush and Cocktail. This of course explains why I was really wanting to watch Joe Versus the Volcano during the snow storm. This is also around the time I get my fruitarian delusions of subsisting off of nothing but tropical fruit, while living in Bora Bora up in a treehouse built by Pete Nelson. Quite frankly, I could live anywhere as long as it was in a treehouse built by Mr. Nelson, but right now I pick the islands. :D

So on that beachy note, here are tonight's songs...

Good Vibrations:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab_beh07HU

Wouldn't It Be Nice:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBKFoeDKJo

God Only Knows:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EkPy18xW1j8

California Girls:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fmIsdMWzdaE

Then I Kissed Her:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z5aZeU0w9lM

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Just a quick update on my labs and one question.

I saw my doctor this afternoon and apparently the lab never sent the results for the H. Pylori, TSH and magnesium. My serotonin is 171 and I have on my list that Ray says it should be around 25. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

I've been REALLY curious about my H. Pylori results because of the burning gut and of all things, it was one of the tests missing. Of course, there's still the chance I'll luck out and the test will show I do in fact have it. A girl can dream anyway.

Amazoniac

Hi!

I'm replying to you here because I asked to remove that thread.
Thank you for your suggestions anyway..
I once considered making a leafy green broth, straining and freezing for each day. But for some reason I haven't tried yet.
Your suggestion about potato is great but I don't do that well with any kind of potato. It's very mild actually but I prefer to avoid and find other sources for those nutrients.
Oh, and I'm a male. Somehow I never noticed anything negative consuming less calories than average.
The diet that I designed is not as convenient as it would be by following strictly Dr Peat's guidelines. So, in my case it's almost impossible to over-eat. This might explain why I don't need to count calories and only eat when I'm hungry.

Wish you a great day!

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

You're welcome, Amazoniac! :)

Yeah, like you, I was thinking about making a big batch of kale broth and freezing it since I too am not handling dairy well right now and thought it would help give me a good amount of nutrients.

Hmm...let's see, instead of potato for B vitamins or potassium, leafy greens, fish/seafood, eggs and liver should give you plenty of those. I know you already get three out of four of those foods. Also, if you like it, cacao is a good source of those minerals too, along with being high in magnesium and zinc. That and oysters are good for zinc. If I remember correctly, you also showed a little low in zinc. Of course, that was just a one day snapshot of your diet so you may get more of those nutrients on other days, especially on that one day a week you eat liver.

Oh, okay! I thought you were male, but just wanted to make sure. That's great that you feel fine on your current caloric intake. I just like to check, especially with the guys because I've noticed they sometimes under eat without realizing it and then feel better just by upping their calories. But you feel fine so no worries there! :D

Ray's diet guidelines are definitely great for convenience, that's for sure! I appreciated the lack of preparation it took to pull some milk or cheese from the fridge and just cut some fruit up and I was done. I miss it! LOL

Take care!

pboy

its true and sometimes people trip about about this or that when its just over all energy, ive been busy and ate less the past couple days and today was a quick reminder when I increased calories again...a large difference...I think theres an enough point and an abundant point, and the abundant point creates a lot more dopamine and a different feel all together, and it wasn't much a difference...2300 to 27 or 2800ish. Sometimes I feel bad for bigger people because like...for me to get in 2800 calories I have to dedicate some effort and time, and my stomach is pretty full most of the day, I don't know if I could actually afford and have the time to eat like 4000 cal a day, lol. I must have a small stomach

good luck with the kale broth, I have a personal vendetta against kale and will not honor it by even buying it! (working in health stores and just being around the vibe really begin to get under my skin with everyone obsessing over kale, yet no one actually liked it!) and it smells bad

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

pboy said:
good luck with the kale broth, I have a personal vendetta against kale and will not honor it by even buying it! (working in health stores and just being around the vibe really begin to get under my skin with everyone obsessing over kale, yet no one actually liked it!) and it smells bad
Yeah, I can understand that! For me it's patchouli. My dad is a musician and for a few years practiced in the basement of his bandmate's father's health food store. I was a tater tot at the time, probably around 2 years old and all I can remember is that patchouli smell when we'd go watch them rehearse. I notice that strong patchouli smell in a lot of the little health food stores and when I buy something and bring it home, that's all I smell. Why can't it ever be a soft sandalwood or vanilla scent?

I'll admit I don't like green drinks either, but was looking for something to get some minerals till I can tolerate milk again. Coffee goes right through without the milk.

Oh wait, I forgot about the brewed cacao nibs drink. I'll try drinking that instead! Okay pboy, you talked me out drinking kale juice. :D

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

So I thought I'd log tonight because I feel really guilty when I don't. Sort of like when you start a journal and you feel like you're abusing your relationship with it if you don't write in it everyday. Then by the time you hit 50 you have a bookcase full of them. Oh the stories they could tell. I say best to use them as kindling and get rid of the evidence.

Seriously! It's like looking back and cringing at seeing photos of yourself wearing the decade's finest. I'm still questioning the MC Hammer pants and the wall of bangs. You guys remember those? In grade school, my friends all had bangs that they would spend hours curling, fluffing and then flattening the front to get that perfect bouffant wall of hair. I almost escaped that look, but six grade came and I chopped my hair. My friends told me how great my bangs looked on me. Well, that's like telling a bridesmaid in a candy pink ruffled dress that she looks great in it and that it'll never go out of style. I have a burnt orange maid of honor's dress that is hanging in my closet that disagrees. My little black lace dress is laughing at it as I write this. Bunch of liars my friends were. Hehe!

Hmm...what else can I write about? My gut still hates me, but that's nothing new. My life is seriously pathetic now. LOL Oh, I know! I'll write about my dog. Now, if I ever start writing about my 80 cats, please pray for me because I have a feeling they'll come haul me away to the happy house. I could rock the white jacket, but all the buckles would drive me crazy and then they'd never let me leave. For now, I'll write about Bee's current habits. :D

So he's my nighttime buddy about the size of a squeaky toy, but takes up bed space like a horse. I've been sleeping with one eye open because I'm convinced he'll eat me if I don't. Lately, he harasses me for food ALL THE TIME! He sees me as his kibbles and bits dispenser. At night, I find myself on the edge of the bed and him jammed up against me. I know exactly what he's trying to do and it's not snuggling. He's pushing me off so I'll be forced to get up and get him more food. He already wakes me at 4:30 in the morning all excited as if I just happened to wake up ready to feed him.

Okay, I exaggerate slightly! He's been a great snuggle bug. Even more snuggly since Cricket passed. Animals seem to sense when you need a little extra bit of loving on. I've been having very vivid dreams of Cricket lately and they've been really nice. No nightmares of her dying like in previous dreams of her. In them I recognize that she has passed, yet she's in front of me as real as ever. I often wonder if the deceased visit us in our dreams.

Hmm...maybe the man in the moon is bringing out the nutty in me this week. Have you checked him out? He's looking real fine tonight! ;)

For tonight's songs...

Alison Krauss and Heart - These Dreams

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kj4DaA-xtzM

Cat Stevens - Moonshadow

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NPazGVuBXmY

pboy

haha don't mind me, you can try the kale broth if you want (I just wont be!), if you do though tell us how it goes...or not if you decide no to!

Amazoniac

pboy said:
haha don't mind me, you can try the kale broth if you want (I just wont be!), if you do though tell us how it goes...or not if you decide no to!

Hi pboy,

I have. But I also have the feeling that it's missing something to balance. If you use it strained and frozen just as an addition to soups and stews solves this problem..

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

I've been playing the "where are my lab results and Genova stool test price" game since the beginning of last week so I'm a bit frustrated. I'm usually very easy going and patient, but this has gotten ridiculous. I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say it ending with me going down to the lab myself to get the rest of my test results. The kind tech had me sign a form to get my results sent directly to my house whenever I get them done so no doctor middleman needed anymore. It's really sad when the techs see me and know my name. Normally, being in a place where everyone knows my name would give me the warm fuzzies like sitting down at the Cheers bar, but in this case, I'd rather they not even recognize my face.

I'm at the point where everything is going right through me now and my gut always has that gnawing burn so I'm getting barely any calories in. I probably already mentioned that, but the delirium has set in from the malnutrition or perhaps it's due to the brain cloud. What were we talking about again? Oh never mind! Hehe!

So I updated my results on my test results log. My magnesium is good, my TSH is .005 and I don't have H. Pylori, much to my dismay. I asked the universe for a gut eating bacteria and it couldn't even give me that much. What does a girl have to do to catch a break!? Geez!

Dr. Oteri said she wanted to keep an eye on my cholesterol because she feels it's getting too low and worries depression will set in. Um...bless her heart, but any depression I may have is the result of looking at a Genova stool test sitting on my counter ready to be used and a gut screaming for help, but alas, I can't touch it without a price. Here comes my inner Yiddish, wait for it...Oy Vey!

With that said, does anyone know if I should back off the NDT some? Dr. Oteri didn't mention having a problem with my TSH being that low, but with my cholesterol being 147 and my progesterone being low, I wonder if my dose should be lowered?

Tonight's songs...

Land of confusion - Genesis

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkVLqSaahk

Here I Go Again - Whitesnake

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahf3ud0RUUA

Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2X_2IdybTV0

tara

Jennifer said:
I'm at the point where everything is going right through me now and my gut always has that gnawing burn so I'm getting barely any calories in. I probably already mentioned that, but the delirium has set in from the malnutrition or perhaps it's due to the brain cloud. What were we talking about again? Oh never mind! Hehe
This doesn't sound any good. Are you getting dehydrated from this as well?
Sorry if you've mentioned this before, but did your stool test rule out obvious bacterial infections (eg campylobacter, cholera etc)? Parasites (eg giardia)? What about C. difficile?
Just as a way of getting a little extra nourishment into you till your guts can get it together, have you tried transdermal coconut oil? Ie slathering it on any available outside surface at least a couple of times a day? I think there's evidence that some of it is likely to be absorbed into circulation. I don't think it works for milk and OJ, though, let alone eggs and liver, though I'm finding the image entertaining. :)

sunmountain

Hi Jennifer,
I've been following your log and gut issues. I really hope you feel better soon.
My stomach is still inflated...no difference. I've started drinking goat milk 8oz at breakfast and bedtime, along with a "dairyzyme." I seem to be tolerating it insofar as my stomach doesn't extend any further than it is.
I suspect I'm still not eating enough to get me over the bend and into recovery proper, but that's hard right now both because I get full so quickly and because I'm still adjusting diet to be more peaty.
I do hope you feel better soon.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

tara said:
Jennifer said:
I'm at the point where everything is going right through me now and my gut always has that gnawing burn so I'm getting barely any calories in. I probably already mentioned that, but the delirium has set in from the malnutrition or perhaps it's due to the brain cloud. What were we talking about again? Oh never mind! Hehe
This doesn't sound any good. Are you getting dehydrated from this as well?
Sorry if you've mentioned this before, but did your stool test rule out obvious bacterial infections (eg campylobacter, cholera etc)? Parasites (eg giardia)? What about C. difficile?
Just as a way of getting a little extra nourishment into you till your guts can get it together, have you tried transdermal coconut oil? Ie slathering it on any available outside surface at least a couple of times a day? I think there's evidence that some of it is likely to be absorbed into circulation. I don't think it works for milk and OJ, though, let alone eggs and liver, though I'm finding the image entertaining. :)

I've been trying to stay hydrated with plenty of juice, but just to be on the safe side I'll pick up some coconut water.

All I was checked for was h. pylori, cryptosporidium and giardia at the lab here in town. Dr. Oteri also wants me to take the Genova GI Effects stool test which gets mailed out to Genova for testing. Like Amazoniac mentioned, it should test for most of the ones you mentioned. The only problem is, in order for Genova to run the tests, I need to include payment when I mail out my stool samples because as of right now, my insurance isn't covering it. So without the price of the test, I can't take it.

On the Genova site it says I have to get pricing from my doctor. I've made numerous calls and office visits to Dr. O's and every time I've been promised I'll have the price by the following day, but I still don't have it. At this point, I think I'll call the office and see if the lab here in town could check for any of the bugs ect. that Genova would test for. It's that or I see if there's a number for the Genova rep for this area and contact him/her myself to get the pricing. So frustrating!

I use cocoa butter all over my body after my baths. It makes the skin smell delicious, but not nearly as scrumptious smelling as it would be slathered in milk, OJ, egg yolk and liver. And just imagine how much better I'd smell as the day went on. :sick: :lol:

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

sunmountain said:
Hi Jennifer,
I've been following your log and gut issues. I really hope you feel better soon.
My stomach is still inflated...no difference. I've started drinking goat milk 8oz at breakfast and bedtime, along with a "dairyzyme." I seem to be tolerating it insofar as my stomach doesn't extend any further than it is.
I suspect I'm still not eating enough to get me over the bend and into recovery proper, but that's hard right now both because I get full so quickly and because I'm still adjusting diet to be more peaty.
I do hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, sunmountain! I appreciate the kind words. :)

I'm sorry to hear you're still dealing with the distention. I was hoping the minocycline would help with that. It's good though that the goat milk isn't increasing it. That's something!

But yeah, it's hard to get recovery amounts of food in and many people have to take it slow or else it only makes things worse for them. I learned my lesson with that one.

I hope your stomach finally gives you a break much sooner than later. You've been dealing with this long enough!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jennifer just curious what NDT you are using?

lindsay

I actually LOVE kale - I have regular cravings for it, as it definitely has beneficial gut action when cooked well (not to mention it's full of minerals). I made borsch and chicken soup in the past month and used Kale in it - was a delicious addition. But my favorite way to eat kale is really well cooked in a little water - then strain it (yeah sorry - drinking Kale liquid is just not on my to-do list); then sauté with tomato sauce and mix in some sour cream and cheese. I actually ate this yesterday - grated cheddar and some sour cream mixed in. So tasty!!

I feel about beans the way pboy feels about kale - I mean, they are tasty and all when cooked and smothered with fat, but they just do not digest well. I do, however, really love red lentils.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Charlie said:
Jennifer just curious what NDT you are using?

I'm taking WP Thyroid, Charlie. It's the one with the fewest exipients I could find. It only contains chicory root and medium chain triglycerides from coconut. It's slightly sweet with no chalkiness to it so it dissolves pretty well under the tongue.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals