Mike Mentzer comments on carbs

FitnessMike

sounds like good man

liber1

All the best bodybuilders consume lots of carbs most of the time. Along with the drugs, which they used much less of back in Mentzer's day, I think the foundation of support that protected them from all the stress of the weightlifting was a diet very high in carbohydrate along with the nutritional foundation that is also overlooked in today's bodybuilding "scene". It certainly has become a circus of drug abuse and bad health outcomes lately. I think the men of old were much healthier during and after their career than people today. I'm certain environmental factors play a big role here too.

Mike's over-use of amphetamines was just one small piece of him that made up a Man who's genius goes largely underappreciated, in relation to bodybuilding and philosophy.

I think a fair portion of the members on this forum find it as a place to solve some of the problems that either led us to love lifting weights or problems that we developed while lifting weights strenuously and maybe not recovering optimally. I am very grateful that I have been able to solve some of my issues that I developed while under-recovering from exercise by studying from other members here.

Runenight201

he was deluded and a drug addict...I wouldn't pay any attention to such a narcissist
How was he delusional? I recall listening to him speak upholding rationality as one of the most important values to maintain.

He did ultimately pass away from a heart attack, so I do wonder if he had known that the current path he was on would lead to a premature death if he would change courses.

Perhaps he fully knew the risks and drawbacks, but preferred living a life that was agreeable to him, despite it's implications. Is that delusional?
All the best bodybuilders consume lots of carbs most of the time. Along with the drugs, which they used much less of back in Mentzer's day, I think the foundation of support that protected them from all the stress of the weightlifting was a diet very high in carbohydrate along with the nutritional foundation that is also overlooked in today's bodybuilding "scene". It certainly has become a circus of drug abuse and bad health outcomes lately. I think the men of old were much healthier during and after their career than people today. I'm certain environmental factors play a big role here too.

Mike's over-use of amphetamines was just one small piece of him that made up a Man who's genius goes largely underappreciated, in relation to bodybuilding and philosophy.

I think a fair portion of the members on this forum find it as a place to solve some of the problems that either led us to love lifting weights or problems that we developed while lifting weights strenuously and maybe not recovering optimally. I am very grateful that I have been able to solve some of my issues that I developed while under-recovering from exercise by studying from other members here.

Surely there must be something different that the bodybuilderds of now are doing than the bodybuilders of the past which are leading to the premature deaths. Would the bodybuilders of the 70s/80s dehydrating themselves as intensely and going low-carb pre-show time to lose as much body fat as possible? Each time someone does something like that surely it has to be doing some metabolic damage.

EustaceBagge

Surely there must be something different that the bodybuilderds of now are doing than the bodybuilders of the past which are leading to the premature deaths. Would the bodybuilders of the 70s/80s dehydrating themselves as intensely and going low-carb pre-show time to lose as much body fat as possible? Each time someone does something like that surely it has to be doing some metabolic damage.
I honestly don't know why they didn't keep the judging standards of the early 70's. The extreme conditioning nowadays doesn't look good and their skins look way off.
He mentions some important things like doing low carb for too long leading to muscle loss
I wonder whether fats can take over the role of carbs to an extent, like can fats also refill glycogen stores in muscle? I usually combine carbs with fats as I like the taste better that way. My macros are also more balanced between all three.

John mcclain

All the fan boys on here...anyone who goes to the gym will to these lads babble on about bull**** because I mean look at them...they are using tonnes of drugs for that look and it will shorten there life along with the training what they eat is irrelevant and cannot be giving ANY credit...like even a vegan can look good whilst on the right ***t.

OP
D

Dr. B

I honestly don't know why they didn't keep the judging standards of the early 70's. The extreme conditioning nowadays doesn't look good and their skins look way off.

I wonder whether fats can take over the role of carbs to an extent, like can fats also refill glycogen stores in muscle? I usually combine carbs with fats as I like the taste better that way. My macros are also more balanced between all three.
I don’t know about glycogen but some on here mentioned muscles consume fats at rest safely. Or maybe even preferentially consume fats at rest.

Runenight201

Reddit - Dive into anything

“The glycerol backbone of the fats consumed or released can be converted to glucose. Though the contribution of glycerol to glucose production is normally modest, the body is capable of deriving a significant amount of its glucose needs from glycerol and the limits of this have not been adequately tested”

So I believe it’s possible, but I’m not convinced it’s preferable. Given the amount of importance Peat places on carbohydrates for thyroid function and keeping cortisol low, I would not head down the route of attempting to fill my glycogen stores solely via fat consumption.

sphenoid

I agree with the guy on many topics but this always makes me laugh:

Attachments

• 5A3B7494-151C-4985-9C48-1A06CF484ED0.jpeg
    5A3B7494-151C-4985-9C48-1A06CF484ED0.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 23

golder

All the fan boys on here...anyone who goes to the gym will to these lads babble on about bull**** because I mean look at them...they are using tonnes of drugs for that look and it will shorten there life along with the training what they eat is irrelevant and cannot be giving ANY credit...like even a vegan can look good whilst on the right ***t.
Once again, you are completely reductive. I doubt there’s many fanboys of a reasonably fringe bodybuilder from the 70s on a health forum espousing the philosophies of Ray Peat.
There are many bodybuilders who use 4 times the drugs that he used and look worse, and there are plenty of bodybuilders who use less drugs than him that look better. Your disproportionate inflamed opinions about fanboys is more concerning than what you are concerned about.

John mcclain

Once again, you are completely reductive. I doubt there’s many fanboys of a reasonably fringe bodybuilder from the 70s on a health forum espousing the philosophies of Ray Peat.
There are many bodybuilders who use 4 times the drugs that he used and look worse, and there are plenty of bodybuilders who use less drugs than him that look better. Your disproportionate inflamed opinions about fanboys is more concerning than what you are concerned about.

You are possibly correct...but it humours me when ANYBODY hears somebody say something about carbs and INTURN beleive it to be a big piece of the puzzle as to how that person became a somebody (bodybuilder)and cant see the truth for what it is...the drugs and the drugs ALONE are the sole reasoning.your point is correct about drug use but nobody really knows what anybody took.mentzer like ANYONE using large amounts of anabolics and androgens will be very much able to deal with large amounts of unnecessary carbohydrates.so again reductionist I know but FACT.what will they say when they here about Vince gironda eating 30+ eggs a days and looking similar to the drug addict???all that fat must be slow down his metabolism 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

John mcclain

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals