The Long-Winded Digestion Thread

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Suikerbuik, I've noticed fizzing with both brands of activated charcoal I've used. One brand was capsule form and the other was a USP loose powder and both fizzed when I added water to them.

Suikerbuik

http://www.old-herborn-university.de/literature/books/OHUni_book_14_article_2.pdf

For the demonstration of the persorption process, starch-granules of a diameter of 5 to 110 μm are very suitable as model bodies and can be given with the food in generous quantities. In histological sections, they can be identified under the polarising microscope. After starch suspensions are fed to vertebrates, occasional starch-granules can be identified histologically between enterocytes. Others lie in the subepithelial region and many in the lymph vessels of mucosa, submucosa and mesenterium. This shows that the penetration mode for solid microparticles is the paracellular passage through the epithelial cell layer. The upper diameter limit for the persorption capacity was determined: In the chyle of mammals after they had been fed with particles of quartz, it was only very seldom that particles greater than 130 μm were found whereas particles of a diameter of up to 70 μm were frequently observed. Using the same method, microparticles such as pollen, spores, plant cells, diatomes, ground wood pulp, celluloseparticles, pulverised crab and lobster shells, lyophilised muscle fragments, PVC particles, iron powder, parasite eggs, hair fragments, asbestos fibres, soot and charcoal-particles, silicates and crystals can be found in the chyle (Figure 2).

This phenomenon was also quantitatively observed in self-experiments with a large team of colleagues and medical students. After native starch has been taken, starch-granules can be demonstrated in the venous blood already 100 seconds later. Their number displays a multi-peak characteristic with peaks at about 10, 100 and 210 minutes after the ingestion of particle suspensions. The persorption rate is dependent on the quantity of particles offered. The motility of the muscularis mucosae, drugs, circadian rhythm, age, caffeine and nicotine influence the absorption rate. Other microparticles of a comparable size such as cellulose particles, pollen and lycopodium spores are also found in the venous blood of volunteers after oral application (Figure 3).

Suikerbuik said:
Just a few observation I had with charcoal. Does charcoal normal fizzes when it get's in contact with water? If you dissolve the stuff is it normal to some "grey" layer forming on the surface?

Mine fizzes but there is no gray, an almost iridescent film forms on top though.

Such_Saturation said:
Mine fizzes but there is no gray, an almost iridescent film forms on top though.

Mine does this too, exactly. I figured it was reacting or binding something in my well water, that's just a guess tho.

fyo

In my experience, antibiotic substances can trigger noticeable reactions. I imagine this is due to bacterial destruction, which increases endotoxin, which can be a large stressor.

When I first started taking refined coconut oil, I felt a strong aversion to even a tbsp of it, and there were some reactions. Now, after months, I find myself enjoying the taste, and there isn't a reaction.

With minocycline, there was an intense reaction involving fever, aches, pains, etc. Eventually the symptoms resolved and I felt great, with much less of the serotonin-esque feelings and an ability to tolerate foods such as potato which previoiusly I could not.

I'd also emphasize regeneration in addition to bacterial destruction. Peat mentions how healthy cows would have more bacteria in their udder, while sick cows had less bacteria yet more inflammation, and how vitamins resolved the situation.
In the gut, there is a protective mucosoal barrier which deters direct bacterial interaction with the gut cells. This, and various other gut-protective factors, are products of metabolism, hence the emphasis on improving metabolism. Gelatin is also a big gut-protective factor I think.

Suikerbuik said:
I'm working in this field and trying to learn as much as I can (as fast as I can)
Interesting, in what field do you work?
I tend to go from field to field studying what seems most important, and right now I'm working to develop a simple, safe protocol to improve endotoxic stress measurably, that can be repeated by anyone, with little expertise or special equipment. There are a few agents that seem like they could work for this so far: charcoal, MCT's, CO2, and casein. I'm trying to understand if they work (perhaps only) in combination, and in sufficiently large doses.

Suikerbuik said:
Because in the other thread we're indeed going off-topic. Could you elaborate your saying?
My five mile high understanding is, that bacteria are not bad or good, but the endotoxins produced by bacteria respond to the environment.
(underlining is mine)
Yes, I think I might better be said: "...bacteria are not good or bad, but the endotoxins or antigens in bacteria are a response to the environment."

The idea is that gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria in normal flora respond to stress in their environment:
Ray Peat said:
Once the protective barrier-functions of the intestine and liver have been damaged, allergens and many materials with specific biological effects can enter the tissues. The polysaccharide components of connective tissue constitute a major part of our regulatory system for maintaining differentiated cell functioning, and absorbed starches act as “false signals,” with a great capacity for deranging cellular functioning. Several types of research indicate that carrageenan changes cellular function in complex ways, imitating changes seen in cancer, for example.

R.J.V. Pulvertaft found "a close similarity between Burkitt cells and human lymphocytes stimulated by bean extract." He concluded that "…the possibility of a relation between Burkitt's lymphoma and a diet of beans should not be neglected," though he emphasized that other factors must be considered, since most people who eat beans don't develop the disease. The intestinal parasites which are common in tropical Africa can cause inflammation of the bowel, leading to the absorption of large amounts of antigens.

Since the bowel becomes inflamed in influenze, it is reasonable to think that some of the symptoms of "the flu" are produced by absorbed bowel toxins.The variations in the post-influenza syndromes are very likely influenced by the nature of the bacteria or foods which are present, chronically or at the time of an uncompensated stress or inflammatory disease. K.M. Stevens has argued that while rheumatic fever and glomerulonephritis are caused by the antigens of streptococci, systemic lupus erythematosis (SLE) is probably caused by the antigens of gram-positive lactobacilli found in the normal flora.

Suikerbuik

Ok. We will see how this turns out. One advice I want to give you is: More is not necessarily better and in most cases less is more.

Also keep in mind the metabolites and enzymes bacteria produce. The way I see it, is that all these properties, including the one you mentioned, do belong to a specific bacterium (= good or bad). But we can't and shoudn't blame a specific bacterium since it's part of a complex system.

Balance is EVERYTHING. Finding that balance is different for each individual, especially when it comes to gut flora.

sunmountain

Still working on trying to get TO an elimination diet...and failing...and bloated.

I have not tried digestive enzymes or betaine hcl. They might not be Peat approved, but if they can reduce bloating long enough for metabolism to increase, then it might be able to take over.

Anyone had good luck with enzymes, and if so what brand?

thanks

SQu

VoS, any update on your endotoxin stress lowering experiment? I think you mentioned you were seeing if CO could replace some of the sugar in your diet? How's that going?
Edit: not sure whether it was in this thread

tara

Suikerbuik said:
Just a few observation I had with charcoal. Does charcoal normal fizzes when it get's in contact with water? If you dissolve the stuff is it normal to some "grey" layer forming on the surface?
I don't think it dissolves. I think it just mixes, and a thin layer of particles sits on the top (held up by surface tension?). Maybe it fizzes as the air escapes from a gazillion small holes in the particles?
I mix by shaking in a sealed bottle, because it's hard to mix it without powder floating up off it, and I don't want to inhale it (or spread it round the kitchen).

sueq said:
VoS, any update on your endotoxin stress lowering experiment? I think you mentioned you were seeing if CO could replace some of the sugar in your diet? How's that going?
Edit: not sure whether it was in this thread
Sorry I missed this, s! I'm still using 4 tablespoons of charcoal every second night, and 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil each day. So far I haven't needed to limit the sugar, because the additional coconut oil is not increasing my bodyfat% that I can see. But I think I have a very high metabolism possibly due to the CO2 enriched air and red light that I use much of the day and night.

SQu

Thanks for the feedback. Charcoal, CO (less than you) feeling good, but, as so often in the past, initial boost in energy, weight loss, gradually, unaccountably regressed. My standard mantra of 'be patient' wearing very thin at this point. Unlike the rest of me! Anyway, enough somewhat- off- topic stuff from me.

alpaine

Hi, this is very interesting information. Could you please share the sources were to buy activated charcoal in such large quantity? My health store only has bottles of 100 caps/ 225 mg each. I would need to take a whole bottle at once. Can you buy it in bulk?
Thank you!

tara

alpaine said:
Hi, this is very interesting information. Could you please share the sources were to buy activated charcoal in such large quantity? My health store only has bottles of 100 caps/ 225 mg each. I would need to take a whole bottle at once. Can you buy it in bulk?
Thank you!

http://www.toxinless.com/activated-charcoal
I got mine from charcoal house.

healthnatura

There is an active poll going on regarding activated charcoal and member preferences on my merchants page. Your opinion is valuable and if there is enough interest I'll stock the product. I can offer sizes from 1/2lb up to pallet sizes.
Should there be sufficient demand I'll be looking for 4 members to compare the samples I bring in to their existing product free of charge. If you want to participate PM me to get in line.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals