The Long-Winded Digestion Thread

Re: Getting ripped with Dr Peat

Peata said:
.... and heavy consumption of alcohol increase the permeability of the intestine, causing increased absorption of microbial toxins. Laxatives, carrot fiber (not carrotjuice), activated charcoal, and a small amount of sodium thiosulfate decrease the formation and absorption of toxins, increasing the organism’s adaptive capacity.”

Is this what ya'll mean by "Getting ripped with Dr. Peat"??? :cheers lol, I'M KIDDING!!!!

*planning to somehow chug down an ENTIRE tablespoon of Activated Charcoal before bed tonight.....shudders* :sick:

4peatssake

thebigpeatowski said:
*planning to somehow chug down an ENTIRE tablespoon of Activated Charcoal before bed tonight.....shudders* :sick:
It's not that bad actually, well except for the black teeth. :lol:

photo.jpg

Speaking of teeth, I've found that brushing with activated charcoal makes my teeth whiter.
I brush with mix a combination of ac and baking soda.

Overall the taste is somewhat chalky but pretty bland.

4peatssake

From Dr. Peat:
Ray Peat said:
It does destroy some vitamins by oxidation, that's why he used it only intermittently. Usually fibers, such as carrots or bamboo shoots, are preferable for reducing toxin absorption.
I posted the full exchange in the RP Email Depository

4peatssake said:
Ray Peat said:
It does destroy some vitamins by oxidation, that's why he used it only intermittently...
Thanks for that, 4ps! Hmm, there's not a direct answer from Peat, that I can see? The vitamin that is said to be destroyed by oxidation is Vitamin A, but if you take sufficient Vitamin E and its complement K2, it should be protective against oxidation to some extent.

One way I can understand Peat's use of "intermittently" here - given that Frolkis added to food "large quantities (equivalent to about a cup per day for humans) for ten days of each month" - is to use a large quantity of charcoal one day (perhaps even 3 tablespoons?), then skip two days, and then repeat. The idea would be that even if vitamins are destroyed by oxidation one day, they can be replenished the next two days.

Takeaway: take one large quantity of charcoal every third day (perhaps the sum of the 3 tablespoons you would have taken, at one a day), and supplement with Vitamin E (and its complement K2-MK4, too). As usual, the Vitamin A in liver is your friend.

It's interesting that this takeaway is not distributed with the charcoal, or in any literature I can find.

I've found brushing with charcoal to be quite hard on the teeth's natural barrier.

Peata

I took 4 capsules last night, figure I'll work my way up. But then I decided I want to try something I read about taking 1 capsule 3 x day for a week, so I think I'll do that and see how it goes.

sunmountain

Thanks for the reply, VoS! I like to think I'm getting ripped...

I need to take AC every day for now, or the stomach swells up too much and doesn't go down, which affects how much I eat. Chicken and egg, I know. Also AC stops my diarrhea. Without AC I now get diarrhea constantly.

So I'm gonna take daytime dose 2 hours after breakfast when I have most of my supps. (I don't eat liver but do A, which I know is imperfect.) Then wait 2 hours for lunch. I have to do this as I think I'll be taking AC for a while. Right now I take 8 capsules per dose, two doses per day.

I take cascara at bedtime and after breakfast.

This might reduce my calorie intake a bit, but not much I think. If I don't take AC, then also my intake would suffer, and much more I think. Let's see what crono shows after a few days.

Peata

thebigpeatowski said:
Peata said:
.... and heavy consumption of alcohol increase the permeability of the intestine, causing increased absorption of microbial toxins. Laxatives, carrot fiber (not carrotjuice), activated charcoal, and a small amount of sodium thiosulfate decrease the formation and absorption of toxins, increasing the organism’s adaptive capacity.”

Is this what ya'll mean by "Getting ripped with Dr. Peat"??? :cheers lol, I'M KIDDING!!!!

Did you do it?

Peata said:
Should we start a separate Activated Charcoal thread now?

I'll try 7 capsules next time before bed, Vos.

I just took 2, having never taken it in the daytime or so close to a meal before. But I was sitting here getting that aggravating itchy scalp at hairline like I do sometimes, particularly in the evening and at night, and thought why not try it and see if it helps. I wonder if something in my meal an hour ago messed up my serotonin/histamine. Or I'm just more prone to this happening later in the day/night. But I will get this annoying itch on scalp - especially in the hairline/bangs area and sometimes even end up pulling out some hair on purpose.
Hi, P, like you I get itches, tics, compulsive behaviors and other annoyances, but I tell myself to ignore them as meaningless.

Reading your testimony, though, moved me to experiment to see if these various annoyances could be relieved. I'm going to be [Warning: potentially offensive word combination here: [spoil]bio-hacking][/spoil] by taking a tablespoon of active charcoal as needed until any issue is resolved. Today I expect I'll do 3 tablespoons! And I'm going to keep going as needed, on the idea that the public generally is underdosing, since the longterm study that Peat cites used one cup (16 tablespoons) per day, intermittently.

Not for nothing, I've heard rumors from friends in Hollywood that the talent all uses activated charcoal, but it's kept secret by the press. It's no secret to Peatians!

Peata

Peata said:
I took 4 capsules last night, figure I'll work my way up. But then I decided I want to try something I read about taking 1 capsule 3 x day for a week, so I think I'll do that and see how it goes.

I'm taking 1 capsule 3 - 4 x day. I do my best to take them at least an hour away from meals, but since this is a short-term experiment I'm not worried too much if there's a bit of overlap with some nutrients still in my gut. I just want to see what if anything will happen from keeping a low dose of AC in my system for a while. I still take 200 mg magnesium glycinate a few times per day. That's the only other supplement right now except for baking soda.

Peata

visionofstrength said:
Peata said:
Should we start a separate Activated Charcoal thread now?

I'll try 7 capsules next time before bed, Vos.

I just took 2, having never taken it in the daytime or so close to a meal before. But I was sitting here getting that aggravating itchy scalp at hairline like I do sometimes, particularly in the evening and at night, and thought why not try it and see if it helps. I wonder if something in my meal an hour ago messed up my serotonin/histamine. Or I'm just more prone to this happening later in the day/night. But I will get this annoying itch on scalp - especially in the hairline/bangs area and sometimes even end up pulling out some hair on purpose.
Hi, P, like you I get itches, tics, compulsive behaviors and other annoyances, but I tell myself to ignore them as meaningless.

Reading your testimony, though, moved me to experiment to see if these various annoyances could be relieved. I'm going to be [Warning: potentially offensive word combination here: [spoil]bio-hacking][/spoil] by taking a tablespoon of active charcoal as needed until any issue is resolved. Today I expect I'll do 3 tablespoons! And I'm going to keep going as needed, on the idea that the public generally is underdosing, since the longterm study that Peat cites used one cup (16 tablespoons) per day, intermittently.

Not for nothing, I've heard rumors from friends in Hollywood that the talent all uses activated charcoal, but it's kept secret by the press. It's no secret to Peatians!

I've had the bouts with itchy hairline off and on for a while, but it got severe this past winter. I found it almost impossible to stop scratching and then it would lead to pulling out hair.

Yeah, now I think I know why RP was against taking activated charcoal very often - - -he had in mind ONE CUP, and I had no idea that's the amount he was thinking. No wonder he didn't advise to use it often. I think with my smaller doses I can get away with using it more. Time will tell, I guess.

Peata said:
thebigpeatowski said:
Peata said:

Did you do it?

YES, I did indeed...and all I can say is WOW!!! It's a little early for me to tell cuz I only took it once. I have taken Activated Charcoal before, but never in this dose. And my oh my, what a difference so far!

I am on day 19 of my cycle so I'm not sure if that was contributing to my weirdness, but I was experiencing bloated guts, mild depression, generalized anxiety, some intense OCD feelings and just an overall feeling of blah for no apparent reason. I took the AC late at night, many hours after dinner and I woke up feeling like a new person...with a black mouth.

Like I said, it's too early in my experiment to say for certain, but I can tell you that I am seriously thinking of taking 30 grams a day split into 3 doses just to see what happens. It's certainly easier and more pleasant than garlic and stronger than the carrot salad.

I truly think this could be a GREAT tool....wishing I would have tried huge quantities of AC sooner.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Peata said:
Peata said:

I'm taking 1 capsule 3 - 4 x day. I do my best to take them at least an hour away from meals, but since this is a short-term experiment I'm not worried too much if there's a bit of overlap with some nutrients still in my gut. I just want to see what if anything will happen from keeping a low dose of AC in my system for a while. I still take 200 mg magnesium glycinate a few times per day. That's the only other supplement right now except for baking soda.

So I guess in my case, the trick would be to use the AC in conjunction with the cascara or even magnesium rich food sources like coffee or brewed-cacao nibs, to avoid becoming constipated? One tablespoon of AC was rough!

It makes sense that it would work for tics, itches, RLS ect. if in fact you can eliminate it effectively, since it binds to endotoxin that would be causing such symptoms, but what happens if AC actually causes you to become unable to eliminate efficiently? Does this somehow negate its beneficial effects?

With that being said, I wouldn't want the AC to eliminate all my symptoms. I'm quite fond of my compulsions and would have way too much free time on my hands if I didn't have them. What would I do with myself? :D

Jennifer said:
....With that being said, I wouldn't want the AC to eliminate all my symptoms. I'm quite fond of my compulsions and would have way too much free time on my hands if I didn't have them. What would I do with myself? :D

LOL...that was me EXACTLY back in June when I did my Garlic Extravaganza. I found myself so suddenly normal that I wasn't quite sure what to do with all my extra time. Activated Charcoal feels to me like it could be even better. Things are improving every day and with each new Peat Tool that I experiment with/add to my regime, I find he is SPOT ON....still amazed that he figured all this stuff out.

I guess I could actually start lifting heavy objects in my spare time and really get ripped.

Peata

thebigpeatowski said:
Peata said:
thebigpeatowski said:
Peata said:

Did you do it?

YES, I did indeed...and all I can say is WOW!!! It's a little early for me to tell cuz I only took it once. I have taken Activated Charcoal before, but never in this dose. And my oh my, what a difference so far!

I am on day 19 of my cycle so I'm not sure if that was contributing to my weirdness, but I was experiencing bloated guts, mild depression, generalized anxiety, some intense OCD feelings and just an overall feeling of blah for no apparent reason. I took the AC late at night, many hours after dinner and I woke up feeling like a new person...with a black mouth.

Like I said, it's too early in my experiment to say for certain, but I can tell you that I am seriously thinking of taking 30 grams a day split into 3 doses just to see what happens. It's certainly easier and more pleasant than garlic and stronger than the carrot salad.

I truly think this could be a GREAT tool....wishing I would have tried huge quantities of AC sooner.

Glad it helped.

So the gut issues are something that a person has to keep working on I guess. It's not something that one clears up one time and you're good for all time.. which makes sense with the problems in our environments and food supply and all.

Maybe this is why some people do a regular detox or cleanse. It has the same effect and they feel good. Though probably a lot of them are using complicated and expensive systems when charcoal is so cheap (you could even make it yourself).

Or maybe daily maintenance (possibly with some breaks from the AC) works best as we're discussing. I guess we will find out with our experiments what works for us.

Peata

Jennifer said:
Peata said:
Peata said:

It makes sense that it would work for tics, itches, RLS ect. if in fact you can eliminate it effectively, since it binds to endotoxin that would be causing such symptoms, but what happens if AC actually causes you to become unable to eliminate efficiently? Does this somehow negate its beneficial effects?

Second day of AC for me and still having bouts of diarrhea. :( If it's still happening tomorrow, I'm going to increase the dose. Maybe I'll keep up with small doses during the day and take a big one at night...

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

thebigpeatowski said:
Jennifer said:
....With that being said, I wouldn't want the AC to eliminate all my symptoms. I'm quite fond of my compulsions and would have way too much free time on my hands if I didn't have them. What would I do with myself? :D

LOL...that was me EXACTLY back in June when I did my Garlic Extravaganza. I found myself so suddenly normal that I wasn't quite sure what to do with all my extra time. Activated Charcoal feels to me like it could be even better. Things are improving every day and with each new Peat Tool that I experiment with/add to my regime, I find he is SPOT ON....still amazed that he figured all this stuff out.

I guess I could actually start lifting heavy objects in my spare time and really get ripped.

Ha ha...your garlic protocol was going to be my next step if the super strength oregano oil and Glutagenics didn't work.

I had explained to my doctor that this woman, thebigpeatowski on the RPforum, had done a garlic experiment with amazing results and had I not had such a burning gut at the time, I would of done it myself. I was SO tempted! I really had to hold myself back on that one. 6 years of digestive h*ll and I wanted it over with. My doctor said she didn't blame me. She said if the oregano oil and Glutagenics didn't work, than we would try your garlic protocol.

Of course, I had waited till yesterday to take the Glutagenics because it contains licorice root and I've read that's estrogenic. I really need to learn how to pick my battles because so far today, the Glutagenics has helped my digestion amazingly. It cleared up the issue with the AC I was having.

I really should trust my doctor more. She doesn't even bat an eye when I come in with all my "Ray" research or when I mention names like thebigpeatowski and how she tried this and it worked. :lol: God help us! She actually trusts in my abilities. She knows I'm in it to win it! :D

I'm thinking a separate digestion thread might be in order. I know we have at least two other members (sunmountain and iLoveSugar) on another thread suffering with digestive stress who I think could really use the support.

Jennifer said:
thebigpeatowski said:
Jennifer said:

Ha ha...your garlic protocol was going to be my next step if the super strength oregano oil and Glutagenics didn't work.

I had explained to my doctor that this woman, thebigpeatowski on the RPforum, had done a garlic experiment with amazing results and had I not had such a burning gut at the time, I would of done it myself. I was SO tempted! I really had to hold myself back on that one. 6 years of digestive h*ll and I wanted it over with. My doctor said she didn't blame me. She said if the oregano oil and Glutagenics didn't work, than we would try your garlic protocol.

Of course, I had waited till yesterday to take the Glutagenics because it contains licorice root and I've read that's estrogenic. I really need to learn how to pick my battles because so far today, the Glutagenics has helped my digestion amazingly. It cleared up the issue with the AC I was having.

I really should trust my doctor more. She doesn't even bat an eye when I come in with all my "Ray" research or when I mention names like thebigpeatowski and how she tried this and it worked. :lol: God help us! She actually trusts in my abilities. She knows I'm in it to win it! :D

I'm thinking a separate digestion thread might be in order. I know we have at least two other members (sunmountain and iLoveSugar) on another thread suffering with digestive stress who I think could really use the support.

Hi Jennifer, I suffered digestively (pretty sure that's not a word) for years too. My appendix ruptured exactly four years ago and I was in a tail spin ever since. Oregano oil did nothing for me except burn all the way through, ouch.....I have never heard of Glutagenics, must check that out. My doctors (every single one of them) have been useless. You're fortunate to have found one that you like and she listens! Start that thread, or at least an AC thread...er maybe one already exists and I just don't know about it?

Peata

I just took 10 capsules. That's on top of 6 capsules spread throughout the day. I had to take a couple after dinner because the food nearly made me sick. I've also had a "sour" stomach off and on today, reminds me of the bout of gastritis I had a while back when I was drinking a lot of alcohol everyday. It's not that now - I think it's the OJ I bought. I decided to give OJ another try, but it may just be too much acid for me right now.

Anyway, hoping for a better day for my GI tract tomorrow.

sunmountain

My stomach is now swollen all the time, except for a couple of hours after each AC dose. Today it was swollen even when I had not eaten and was hungry (as in right after a 2-hour workshop I had to deliver).

It might be time to see the doc and find out what's going on.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals