The Long-Winded Digestion Thread

jyb said:
visionofstrength said:
And Peat even feels that if you can reach a 2:1 ratio of saturated to unsaturated fat in your tissues, you may not need thyroid hormone any longer.

Do you remember the source of this? Looks interesting...
I'd seen it mentioned in a number of posts here, then I happened to see it here, as an email exchange:
“It’s the stored PUFA, released by stress or hunger, that slow metabolism. Niacinamide helps to lower free fatty acids, and good nutrition will allow the liver to slowly detoxify the PUFA, if it isn’t being flooded with large amounts of them. A small amount of coconut oil with each meal will increase the ability to oxidize fat, by momentarily stopping the antithyroid effect of the PUFA. Aspirin is another thing that reduces the stress-related increase of free fatty acids, stimulating metabolism. Taking a thyroid supplement is reasonable until the ratio of saturated fats to PUFA is about 2 to 1.”
http://peatarian.com/peatexchanges

sunmountain said:
I went to target and got a juicer, then to Giant and picked up 2 bags organic russet potatoes. Came home and peeled and juiced. Let it stand. Skimmed off the foam and starch at top. Then carefully poured juice into another bowl.

Holy moly! The starch at the bottom was stuck to the bowl like a rock. Or glue. Or something. Got rid of it.

The pure juice in the other bowl. I covered it with plastic wrap and put in fridge for tomorrow.

If I remember right, I'm supposed to "scramble" it in CO in a pan, right? This is the part I'm less sure of, so if anyone has any tips, please let me know. I read a thread about the importance of 45 min cooking, but wouldn't it be burned by then? Any tips on cooking, gratefully accepted.
Looks like there are two ways to cook it, leaving the starch in, and scrambling for 15 minutes ...
peatarian said:
Another, softer and less expensive way to lower serotonin potently is potato pudding. You use a centrifugal juice extractor to produce potato juice. Then you cook it like scrambled eggs: You stir it with a fork to make sure you get all the starch on the bottom and fry it in a pan. This might take a while, about 15 minutes, until it's nice and golden brown. It really tastes nice with salt but has a funny consistency.
or separating out the starch, and boiling the liquid for 40-45 minutes...
nwo2012 said:
After about 40 minutes if cooking with occasional stirring and adding of water, we have the finished soup.
RP says you can cook just until it is thick but because I know there is probably a small amount of starch left in there I prefer to add water and cook longer.

aquaman

visionofstrength said:
nwo2012 said:
After about 40 minutes if cooking with occasional stirring and adding of water, we have the finished soup.
RP says you can cook just until it is thick but because I know there is probably a small amount of starch left in there I prefer to add water and cook longer.

This is good to know - I always cooked it for about 5 minutes until it got thick and fluffy, but tasted way undercooked!

jyb

visionofstrength said:
"[...] Taking a thyroid supplement is reasonable until the ratio of saturated fats to PUFA is about 2 to 1.”

2 to 1 seems quite low for many dietary sources, unless one is purposely avoiding saturated fats. But maybe the body fat ratio is lower than dietary composition because the body will store a bit more pufa than will burn saturated fat upon digestion?

jyb

visionofstrength said:
or separating out the starch, and boiling the liquid for 40-45 minutes...
nwo2012 said:

I feel like 10mins is enough for the purpose of starch cooking, and 40mins more than necessary, if one has waiting long enough for the starch to separate. It really takes a long time for the starch-sediment to stabilise at the bottom, I leave it overnight. And then the resulting liquid on top is really liquid - it won't do like scramble eggs if put in a pan.

But maybe waiting a longer time makes ketones or other nutrients more available.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

Has anyone used a blender to make the potato protein soup? I have a Vitamix and a 2 Ton hydraulic press for juicing that I thought might work on the potatoes. I don't want to have to buy another gadget just to try out the soup.

And if I'm understanding some of the comments correctly, including peatarian's quote, it's okay to mix back in the starch that has separated from the juice while in the bowl? This confuses me! I thought if the intestines were in such bad shape, to the point that you have to resort to the potato soup, then starch should be avoided? Or are people consuming the PPS despite having healthy intestines because they want the nutrition it provides?

I'm assuming that the potato pudding/scramble results from leftover starch in the juice? The juice alone shouldn't thicken with heat, right?

Thanks guys! :)

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

jyb said:
I feel like 10mins is enough for the purpose of starch cooking, and 40mins more than necessary, if one has waiting long enough for the starch to separate. It really takes a long time for the starch-sediment to stabilise at the bottom, I leave it overnight. And then the resulting liquid on top is really liquid - it won't do like scramble eggs if put in a pan.

Oops! I must of been writing my comment while you were, jyb. This is what I suspected. Thanks!

sunmountain

When I took it out the fridge this morning and gently poured into pot for simmering, there was more starch at bottom of bowl. Not as much as in first round, but still significant. I figured there was still starch in but getting hungry, didn't want to wait.

So I poured into pot, and left the small but significant amount of starch at bottom of bowl to throw away.

Now with simmering, there's bits of gelatin floating in it. Quite a lot. Is that starch? If so, I have a fine sieve, I can easily pour it through after the 45 min and get rid of the remaining gelatin looking starch.

Thanks

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

sunmountain said:
Now with simmering, there's bits of gelatin floating in it. Quite a lot. Is that starch? If so, I have a fine sieve, I can easily pour it through after the 45 min and get rid of the remaining gelatin looking starch.

Yes, I would think the gelatinous stuff floating at the top is the starch. The potato juice shouldn't gel up, but the starch will.

sunmountain

Was getting hunger pangs, so soon as 45 min finished, I strained out the gelatin using fine sieve. Drinking first 8oz cup now. The warmth is exactly what I needed! It does taste slightly bitter, but not bad. It's so comforting!

Like a vegetarian version of chicken broth.

Let's see. 10 lbs potatoes yielded about 3 cups clear broth. I'll have to get another 10 lbs to cover tomorrow's meals. This time, I might try potatoes from whole foods to see if the taste is different, less bitter maybe.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

What kind of potatoes did you use, sunmountain? I was thinking of using New potatoes.

I know the allergen-free diet vision posted called for 8 pounds of potatoes daily. You juiced 10 pounds and only got 3 cups? Hmm...I know it depends on the potato how much juice is extracted, but even still, I don't know how I'd be able to get enough calories on potato juice and sugar if I'm going to attempt it. I went to the doctors on Friday and I apparently lost weight from doing an all dairy and sucrose diet so I can't afford to not get enough calories in.

I would really like to try doing the potato juice to really heal my gut because I still haven't been able to add fruit/juice, starch and honey back into my diet without having issues so apparently a dairy and sugar diet is only keeping the bigger issues at bay, but not fully allowing my gut to heal.

I wonder if I could make up the calories by consuming lots of coconut oil? Maybe I'll do that, along with the potato juice and sugar for a few days and then start adding in the dairy again and go from there.

sunmountain

Hi Jennifer,

That sounds like a plan! I used russets, but would like to try a different potato for tomorrow to see if less bitter.

What are new potatoes? Are they the gold ones? I have not seen any listed at the stores as "new" potatoes -- not even at whole foods.

I'm feeling quite warm now after drinking a cup of this broth.

OP
Jennifer

Jennifer

sunmountain said:
Hi Jennifer,

That sounds like a plan! I used russets, but would like to try a different potato for tomorrow to see if less bitter.

What are new potatoes? Are they the gold ones? I have not seen any listed at the stores as "new" potatoes -- not even at whole foods.

I'm feeling quite warm now after drinking a cup of this broth.

New potatoes are immature potatoes harvested during the spring or summer and are also called creamers or fingerlings. They're not a separate variety of potato, but younger versions of other varieties. They have less starch than mature taters because much of the sugars haven't been converted to starch yet.

So you're feeling warm? This makes me think of something jyb mentioned in that centrifugal juicer thread that vision posted a link to. Here's jyb's comment:

jyb said:
At present, RPPS is the only thing I've found that has a strong and immediate effect on metabolism (other than light, sugar, coffee, aspirin...). I don't really respond to thyroid supp so far (whether dessicated or synthetic), although bloodwork shows it does kill my TSH. So, for anyone who is "resistant" to thyroid supplementation out there, which seems pretty rare even on this forum, I recommend RPPS.

I would love to respond to thyroid supplement instead, as making RPPS does involve a bit of work which I'd rather avoid, but so far I don't so I keep doing RPPS.

I take thyroid supplementation, but it does nothing for me and never has. Not sure why I still take, actually. :? I wonder now if the PPS would help with that also. Should be interesting to see.

sunmountain

Jennifer, I hope you try it! I'm still warm from it!

Thyroid does work for me, but only in small amounts. I've not been able to increase the quantity. Perhaps after my gut settles, it might be possible.

I know the fingerlings...they are expensive! But I will try them. If they don't have as much starch, the price difference may not be that much. I might not peel them though, as the peel is so thin.

Has anyone tried regular red potatoes, or gold ones, to see which might taste better?

aquaman

sunmountain said:
The warmth is exactly what I needed! It does taste slightly bitter, but not bad. It's so comforting!

Like a vegetarian version of chicken broth.

You could probably make it taste amazing by making a separate batch of chicken neck and oxtail broth with lots of leafy green and salt added (strain the veggies out after cooking, just keep the nutrients from them), and mixing the two together.

sunmountain

Thanks, Aqua. I'm a sort of veggie, though can probably handle prepared chicken broth, but then it wouldn't have the neck, etc.

I wonder if it would be ok to add a bit of store chicken broth, a good brand with fewest additives. Or can I juice a carrot or other veggie alongside?

I just got a small amount of loose BM, mostly charcoal. Probs loose cuz of liquid only today.

jyb said:
visionofstrength said:
"[...] Taking a thyroid supplement is reasonable until the ratio of saturated fats to PUFA is about 2 to 1.”

2 to 1 seems quite low for many dietary sources, unless one is purposely avoiding saturated fats. But maybe the body fat ratio is lower than dietary composition because the body will store a bit more pufa than will burn saturated fat upon digestion?
Peat cites a study (Beynen, et al) that says there is a mathematical relationship between fatty acid composition of the diet and that of the adipose tissue, and that the saturated fatty acids in the tissue can be increased quickly by eating more of those, while the unsaturated fatty acids cannot be so easily reduced, except perhaps over 500-600 days.

Takeaway: you can increase the saturated fat stored in your adipose tissue by eating more saturated fatty acids (such as coconut/MCT oil).

Combine this with Peat's idea that metabolism is controlled by this same mathematical relationship (or ratio), and the somewhat contrarian, but seemingly inescapable result is this:

The more saturated fatty acids you eat, and thus, the more saturated fatty acids you store, the higher your metabolism should be. This would be true even though (or perhaps because) you are adding more total adipose tissue, at least in the short term, when the unsaturated fats cannot yet be reduced.

I don't know that I've ever seen Peat comment on this, but it's hard to see how he could disagree?!

Now, word of caution, this would not apply to people who eat and store more unsaturated fatty acids, which should worsen metabolism.

[Question: should this be it's own thread if it seems interesting and unexpected?]

Question: Is there a RELIABLE test to see what one's stored fat ratios are? Might need a new thread for this topic...

The Beynen study seemed to analyze adipose tissue that was aspirated from the buttocks, after a local anesthetic was given. Probably don't want to try that at home. ;)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals