Low Toxin Lifestyle These Things Are Killing Your Potassium Stores

TheSir

I am curious what Smith says about adrenal health. In NB, the sodium/potassium ratio is paramount. Low sodium potassium you actually need to supplement with copper manganese zinc. High just zinc. Has he talked about it in length?
Considering that Smith used to be a HTMA practitioner, he must be aware of the role of copper in the NB framework. But Smith being Smith, it has been decided that it is now a toxin. This doesn't mean that it couldn't be reclassified as a heavenly gift for all mankind by April though.

Peater

I saw something where Smith said UVB from the sun or lamps was good. I think he thinks the body should just make what it needs.

InChristAlone

I think people are confused about Dr. Smith. He isn't talking about blood levels of electrolytes. He's referring to tissue levels which will be more of an indicator of what is going on in the cell than blood levels.

mosaic01

Methyl donors and thiamine can reduce potassium stores, from what I have heard.

This doesn't mean that it couldn't be reclassified as a heavenly gift for all mankind by April though.

:D This made me laugh.

Anyway, I guess I don't care much about this, as I don't follow him, or anyone else, blindly without discernment. So let that man experiment, he's going somewhere, unlike many others who are running in circles. Changing opinions is quite refreshing in contrast to all those fake Youtube personalities who never change anything to not lose their target audience.

When it comes to copper, here's a red flag:

Copper supplementation in ruminants deserves special attention because of the narrow margin between deficiency and toxicity, both of which ruminants are susceptible to suffering from. Supplementation of copper above requirements to prevent deficiency has led to an increased number of outbreaks of copper toxicity being reported in recent years, particularly in dairy cattle.
The growing number of lethal cases reported seems to indicate that copper intoxication is spreading silently in dairy herds, urging the development of strategies to monitor herd copper status and improve farmers’ awareness of copper toxicity.
The reasons behind the copper overfeeding in cattle are related both to a poor understanding of copper metabolism and the theory of “if adding a little produces a response, then adding a lot will produce a better response”.
Contrary to most trace elements, copper in ruminants has narrow margins of safety, which must also be formulated considering the concentrations of copper antagonists in the diet.

When there is a "narrow margin between deficiency and toxicity", one has to think twice. It sounds similar to the narrow margin of 900mcg retinol as a requirement but 1500mcg as UL before toxicity occurs.

Could it be that copper requirement has been completely overblown, and some of the symptoms that are considered deficiency are just masked by the copper acting pharmaceutically, rather than nutritionally?

Last edited:

mattmm24

Considering that Smith used to be a HTMA practitioner, he must be aware of the role of copper in the NB framework. But Smith being Smith, it has been decided that it is now a toxin. This doesn't mean that it couldn't be reclassified as a heavenly gift for all mankind by April though.
Yea I haven’t heard him say anything about adrenals. It’s all about the liver. Seems to gloss right over some important topics. Everything supplemented on that program lowers the sodium/potassium ratio except molybdenum and selenium. Zinc and magnesium high doses are going to destroy some people.

youngsinatra

Yea I haven’t heard him say anything about adrenals. It’s all about the liver. Seems to gloss right over some important topics. Everything supplemented on that program lowers the sodium/potassium ratio except molybdenum and selenium. Zinc and magnesium high doses are going to destroy some people.
For that reason I think some practioners like
might have more success with their clients. (huge focus on liver detoxification, but balanced with adressing methylation, thyroid, adrenals etc.)

mosaic01

Zinc and magnesium high doses are going to destroy some people.

I think every strict protocol that is not personalized to individuals will destroy some people. Individual health is not something that can be solved by protocols imposed on everyone. But there are certain generalizations that need to be made, and frameworks developed, in order to start somewhere, and then tailor to individuals from there.

We here need a synthesis of Ray Peat with detox frameworks, which he neglected.

Methylation (folate, b2, b12, glycine, trimethylglycine, etc.) is important, but I have also seen so many reports of people not going anywhere with it. It's one of those things you can manipulate, but it's not the root cause so changing variables can be a dangerous game.

Toxicity is the root cause of disease in the majority of cases, everything else is secondary. There are only few exceptions: structural abnormalities, outright deficiencies, acute infections, childhood emotional neglect (related to polyvagal theory).

Last edited:

Korven

We here need a synthesis of Ray Peat with detox frameworks, which he neglected.

I don't think it's true that Ray peat neglected the importance of detoxification. If you read this article (Natural Estrogens) it is obvious that he thought having good bile flow and pooping out toxins (e.g. estrogen) was important for maintaining good health. He even discussed the fact that too much plant polyphenols can slow down detoxification, so this is not a new concept that Dr Garrett came up with. I honestly think Ray Peat had a much more nuanced take on fiber and detox than other "gurus" since he recognises the fact that soluble fiber can cause issues in susceptible people; if there is something wrong the gut microbiome, excessive secondary bile acids etc.

"For over fifty years, it has been known that the liver excretes estrogens and other toxins from the body, and that when (because of liver inertia) estrogen isn't excreted by the liver and kidneys, it is retained in the body. This process was observed in both animals and humans decades ago, and it is also well established that estrogen itself suppresses the detoxifying systems, causing fewer carcinogens to be excreted in the urine. Ingram's evidence logically would suggest that the women who have cancer are failing to eliminate estrogens, including phytoestrogens, at a normal rate, and so are retaining a higher percentage of the chemicals consumed in their diets. Flavonoids and polyphenols, like our own estrogens, suppress the detoxifying systems of the body."

"There are interesting associations between vegetable “fiber” and estrogens. Because of my own experience in finding that eating a raw carrot daily prevented my migraines, I began to suspect that the carrot fiber was having both a bowel-protective and an antiestrogen effect. Several women who suffered from premenstrual symptoms, including migraine, had their serum estrogen measured before and after the “carrot diet,” and they found that the carrot lowered their estrogen within a few days, as it relieved their symptoms."

"Undigestible fiber, if it isn't broken down by bowel bacteria, increases fecal bulk, and tends to speed the transit of material through the intestine, just as laxatives do. But some of these “fiber” materials, e.g., lignin, are themselves estrogenic, and other fibers, by promoting bacterial growth, can promote the conversion of harmless substances into toxins and carcinogens. When there is a clear “antiestrogen” effect from dietary fiber, it seems to be the result of accelerated transit through the intestine, speeding elimination and preventing reabsorption of the estrogen which has been excreted in the bile. Laxatives have this same effect on the excretion of estradiol."​

mosaic01

I don't think it's true that Ray peat neglected the importance of detoxification.

Practically, it all boiled down to eating carrots. Which may help in the short-term for some things, but is not helpful for the issues people are dealing with nowadays. Carrots are inherently toxic due to the large amount of beta-carotene. One medium carrot has 5mg beta-carotene. The absorption rates vary. When adding fat like coconut oil, the amount of beta-carotene absorbed can be very large, it's possible to receive 1mg of retinol from this. This is already more than the RDA.

It's a bit tragic that the one fiber vegetable he discovered for speeding up bowel movements was also the one with the highest carotene content.

He also thought that coffee consumption and caffeine protected the liver, which is likely true, but he was not aware of the complex interactions of coffee with the detoxification of retinol.

InChristAlone

For that reason I think some practioners like
might have more success with their clients. (huge focus on liver detoxification, but balanced with adressing methylation, thyroid, adrenals etc.)
Did she work with Dr. Smith? She says iron, copper, and vitamin A are bad for the liver. Some things I saw that I disagree with are... boron for stress, and iodine for the thyroid. I think Peat was right on that one. Also parasite cleansing. If you are in bad health the parasites will just come back. She also recently mentioned using lithium, NAC and MSM. NO NO NO. Other than that looks like what Smith does except a focus on middle age women and less restrictive on fruits and veggies.

InChristAlone

I don't think it's true that Ray peat neglected the importance of detoxification. If you read this article (Natural Estrogens) it is obvious that he thought having good bile flow and pooping out toxins (e.g. estrogen) was important for maintaining good health. He even discussed the fact that too much plant polyphenols can slow down detoxification, so this is not a new concept that Dr Garrett came up with. I honestly think Ray Peat had a much more nuanced take on fiber and detox than other "gurus" since he recognises the fact that soluble fiber can cause issues in susceptible people; if there is something wrong the gut microbiome, excessive secondary bile acids etc.

"For over fifty years, it has been known that the liver excretes estrogens and other toxins from the body, and that when (because of liver inertia) estrogen isn't excreted by the liver and kidneys, it is retained in the body. This process was observed in both animals and humans decades ago, and it is also well established that estrogen itself suppresses the detoxifying systems, causing fewer carcinogens to be excreted in the urine. Ingram's evidence logically would suggest that the women who have cancer are failing to eliminate estrogens, including phytoestrogens, at a normal rate, and so are retaining a higher percentage of the chemicals consumed in their diets. Flavonoids and polyphenols, like our own estrogens, suppress the detoxifying systems of the body."

"There are interesting associations between vegetable “fiber” and estrogens. Because of my own experience in finding that eating a raw carrot daily prevented my migraines, I began to suspect that the carrot fiber was having both a bowel-protective and an antiestrogen effect. Several women who suffered from premenstrual symptoms, including migraine, had their serum estrogen measured before and after the “carrot diet,” and they found that the carrot lowered their estrogen within a few days, as it relieved their symptoms."

"Undigestible fiber, if it isn't broken down by bowel bacteria, increases fecal bulk, and tends to speed the transit of material through the intestine, just as laxatives do. But some of these “fiber” materials, e.g., lignin, are themselves estrogenic, and other fibers, by promoting bacterial growth, can promote the conversion of harmless substances into toxins and carcinogens. When there is a clear “antiestrogen” effect from dietary fiber, it seems to be the result of accelerated transit through the intestine, speeding elimination and preventing reabsorption of the estrogen which has been excreted in the bile. Laxatives have this same effect on the excretion of estradiol."​
He didn't give enough options. Raw carrots and bamboo shoots taste absolutely disgusting and I couldn't do it for longer than two days. And because of that now I'm working myself out of a hell hole of bad digestion from avoiding fiber for so long.

Ben.

InChristAlone

Why, why and why?

Thoose are some of the most helpful things i took over the past 5 years. Especially from the perspective of biofilms, fluoride and chronic infection.
Interesting, I never noticed anything from boron. I have gotten plenty of sulfur over the yrs and it didn't seem to help anything. Lithium is now in many people's water supply. Not good. The iodine thing will always be debated here.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I am curious what Smith says about adrenal health. In NB, the sodium/potassium ratio is paramount. Low sodium potassium you actually need to supplement with copper manganese zinc. High just zinc. Has he talked about it in length?
He does not concern himself with that. When you fix the toxicities and deficiencies it fixes everything.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals